XXIX

Time seemed to slow down to the point of freezing as Kimi ran and ran, his lungs getting no oxygen. Everything became a hazy blur as his wimpy feet dragged his exhausted body through the narrow and ominous hallway. The heels of his boots thumped dangerously loud against the wooden floor and resonated against the walls with a loud thud.

Where the fuck is it?! Kimi questioned himself internally as he hacked, trying to steady his breathing. Where is the fucking exit?!

His footsteps merged with harsh, pounding footsteps as a loud, baritone and haunting voice resonated in a bitter tone.

“You know you can’t escape! You’re going to watch yourself bleed to death.”

Kimi managed a look over his shoulder. He almost slipped on a foot at the sight of the two of them walking briskly. They could run but they didn’t. And the sight of tight smirks on their faces told Kimi all that he needed to know: He was a mere game to them.

Frightened grey eyes raked every corner thoroughly, trying to at least find an exit—even the slightest. With a sharp step, Kimi turned sideways, running through a corner. Vision dishevelled, breathing erratic, he came to an abrupt stop as he spotted a shadowy figure standing before him with a wicked posture. Just a few steps away stood a tall figure, his skin pale, his eyes feral—which watched Kimi with a thirsty glint in his eyes—a fangy smirk plastered onto his face.

“I told you,” came the voice of the figure in a gruff snicker, “you can’t escape. You’ll bathe in your blood.”

Kimi gasped—his pupils flaring—as the figure leaped, lunging towards him with swift force. Eyes raked sporadically and he suddenly spotted a set of double doors. Without a second thought, and within a split second, he pulled himself towards the doors, getting a sharp grip around his ankle. Luck was on his side and he already had a tight grip on the handles of the doors.

“You are dead,” snarled the creature as Kimi tugged at the doors like a locked up dog seeking for freedom.

With sheer luck, Kimi tripped, the grip on his ankle loosening, leaving him with a deep scratch. He pulled the doors open, throwing himself towards it, not caring as a bright light was emitted through it.

“Make sure he doesn’t escape!” hissed a pitched voice as he was slowly drowned in the light.

Kimi held a hand to his face as he tumbled into the room. It was as quiet as a graveyard as he shuffled forward and dashed into a bulky body.

“Oh fuck. You have got to be shitting me hundred times a day,” someone said sharply. Kimi instantly recognized the voice as Homer’s.

“Who the hell it this?” a different person asked as Kimi blinked so that his sight could adapt to the bright light.

“I’m sorry Lord Seiva for the sudden interruption,” one of his hunters said from behind him in a tight voice. “This human was caught lurking around. It seems like he had broken into—”

“Like? You said like?” asked person asked sharply.

The moment Kimi finally opened his eyes, he reeled back in shock at the picture before him. Familiar and foreign faces stared back at him. From the looks of it, they were all  cadavers, and there wasn’t only Level Os. Six of the cadavers were sat before the long table in the middle of the big room. Two of these six people were Tobe and Jiaozi. And with the way the other cadavers were standing around them, he guessed instantly that they were their Level Os.

“Meraki what’s the meaning of this?” one of the women—brown-skinned and redheaded—asked in an icy tone. She turned to look at the man who was sat at the farthest part of the table. “Called us here to insult us?”