XXX

“A-Aurum?” Kimi stuttered in a shocked tone. “W-what are you doing here?”

“Lord Caedis,” Meraki said with a bow. “I wasn’t expecting your arrival until tomorrow.”

“I guess my transport arrived earlier than intended.” Aurum had his gaze stuck on Kimi’s face. He raised a hand and said, “Kimi please follow me. We need to discuss about this issue.”

“Issue?” Kimi squinted in anger, his fingernails digging into his palms. “You called my father’s death an issue?” he snapped quietly.

Aurum slowly shook his head, his eyebrows drooping in sadness. “No Kimi. I was talking about what Orpheus had said.” He stared at Orpheus and muttered, “he’s not lying.”

Meraki’s shoulders tightened in response to Aurum’s words. He sideglanced at his son, the glow in his eyes cooling. “If not for Lord Caedis you would have eaten the fruit of my wrath,” he said slowly, his voice dark, his frown weakening. “I’m highly disappointed in you.” Without looking back, he strode out of the room.

“Mer!” Haruna said, rushing after her husband.

Aurum exhaled slowly and pulled off his hat. Holding the hat to his chest, he looked at Kimi’s angry face and said. “Please... let’s go.”

Kimi heaved loudly, his feet stuck on the floor. He pursed his lips, the anger in his eyes slowly melting. He hesitated for a while before he took a stiff step forward, his gait firm. He walked forward with fists by his side. When he got closer to Aurum, he sneered at him and loosened his fists.

“I’m going. And I need all the answers. I need everything.”

Aurum nodded and made way for him. Kimi avoided body contact as he stepped out of the room. This made Aurum sigh tiredly, his eyes sad.

“Orpheus!” Qharis said, she and Illiad rushing their wounded brother. She crouched and held his shoulder.

“I’m fine,” he said, looking into Aurum’s eyes that were stuck on him. “I’m fine,” he repeated, moving his eyes to Illiad who was trying to wipe off his blood.

“Take him to your mother. Tell her to heal him and all of you should come to the dinning room.” He held onto the door, pulling it with him as he walked out.

It’s high time that we talked about the truth, he thought, his eyes following Kimi as he stomped through the hallway.

*

Watching everyone with a glare, Kimi stood by the open door, his already tight fists tightening beside himself. His heart was palpitating so hard that he felt like vomiting it to give himself rest. The room was filled to the brim by equally glaring cadavers.

Aurum coughed lightly at the intense atmosphere. “Well come in.” He held out a hand for Kimi to walk in but the boy only stood his ground and hardened his clenched jaw. “Um...”

“If they bite me and I die I’m going to freaking haunt you for eternity. Cadaver or not cadaver,” Kimi said through his teeth.

“Uh-huh.” Aurum made way for him and he walked slowly into the room.

“Well, well, well. We meet again young human,” the redheaded female cadaver mused with a blank face.

The red-eyed one from before growled at Kimi and turned to look at Aurum. “Lord Caedis I don’t know why this human is still standing after he had nearly burnt my Level Os alive.”