XVII

Note:this chapter contains a lot of gore. Please read with caution if you’re sensitive to brutality. And this chapter is long. And also note that the next update will be on the 16-20. This is because I’m preparing for an exam that’s coming up next week.
Enjoy!

*

How did they find him? How did the cadavers locate the ship in the middle of the sea?! If they were to see him, will they kill him?! Kimi’s mind was being tossed about by these questions as he followed the rest up the metallic stairs. Sweat made his shorts cling to his body, his heart running a marathon within his ribcage.

Their feet made loud resounding thumps against the metal as they rushed up onto the deck. When they got there, Tobe was waiting for them; Zee was stood beside him, the wind ruffling her hair. They both looked over their shoulders at their approaching figures.

Tobe raised an eyebrow when he saw Kimi and noticed how he stood out of place. “Who brought Mikaelis?”

Dae-yang shrugged rigidly. “I thought he could be of help.”

He sighed and shook his head. “Ketsueki you’re with him. Make sure he doesn’t get hurt.”

Rin nodded and stood a little closer to a shaken up and disoriented Kimi.

“What have we got Zee?” Tobe asked calmly.

“Fifty, at least,” she answered as she rolled up the sleeves of her black shirt, her jacket nowhere to be seen.

“Fuck,” Raja whispered when he heard her words. He raised his fist and outstretched it towards Rin. “Rock, paper, scissors that this isn’t going to end well.” They played, and Raja played a rock against Rin’s scissors. “Fuck.”

The ship groaned and the water tossed around like something was whipping it in distress, the darkness of the night keeping their fears blanketed within itself. Kimi jerked a little and wrapped his arms tighter around himself, his eyes wide in fear.

“Ready?” Zee asked, her voice barely audible.

“Ready,” Dae-yang and Raja replied.

Dae-yang unsheathed the sword in her hands. It’s slim blade reflected the lights of the full moon, and it was slightly curved at the tip.

“Please,” she whispered breathily, her voice cracked by fear, her fists tightening around the long hilt of the sword. “Everything please work.”

Kimi wanted to run back to his room, but the sight of everyone’s readied and tensed battle stance made him simply stare wildly at the sky, fidgeting in his skin.

They all went silent and listened with bated breaths for when the underwaters will tremble dangerously. Everything stilled and the second seemed to stretch, until a sharp hiss filled the night.

“Stay aler—”

Zee’s words were cut short as a figure shot out of the water with a screech and barrelled into one of the many windows leading into the ship, shattering the window with a loud bang. Several others followed suit with raspy screeches that pierced the silence of the night.

Her eyes widened in fear. “They’re going for the sleeping humans.” She rushed towards the stairs that led back below the deck, her step so swift that she seemed like breeze to the naked eyes.