IX

Illiad and Silver watched sparingly as Kimi scarfed his food, his eyes observing the couple like they will jump him at any moment.

Silver cleared his throat and rubbed his neck. “You still have a big appetite.” He spared Kimi an awkward glance.

Illiad hummed in astonishment and picked up his cup of water. “He really does.”

Kimi watched closely as Illiad brought the cup of water to his lips and he held the fork in his mouth and nibbled absentmindedly on it, his eyes like a hawk’s against its prey.

Silver cleared his throat, catching Kimi’s attention. “Don’t swallow.”

Kimi lifted an eyebrow and Silver motioned to the fork in his mouth. Realization dawned on him and he slowly dropped the fork on the plate and exhaled lightly.

“So,” Illiad started as he dropped the cup. “What year are you in Kimi?”

Kimi held a napkin to his mouth. “Sophomore.”

Illiad nodded and then scratched his stubble awkwardly. “Um, I didn’t know Silver had a cousin living faraway.”

“You wouldn’t because I’m his only cousin,” Kimi grumbled as he moved to stand.

Silver perked up with furrowed eyebrows. “Where are you going?”

Kimi suspired. “I’m done eating.” He moved to leave but Silver stopped him.

“W-wait. Don’t we like, have some catching up to do?” Silver sighed as he fiddled with his sleeves.

“There’s nothing to catch up about. I’m leaving.”

Rushing footsteps disturbed their silent, little corner as Qharis approached them, her expression a mix between anger and fear.

“What’s the problem?” Illiad asked as Qharis placed her hands on the table.

“Don’t go,” she said to Kimi as he moved to leave.

“What?!” Kimi furrowed his eyebrows in confusion.

Qharis sighed as she leaned closer to her brother. “I heard what happened and he is not happy.” She motioned to Kimi with her eyes, her eyebrows raised.

Illiad frowned in confusion. “Who?”

“Apparently the twins lost more than half of their reasoning.” She motioned for Kimi to sit. “Please sit.”

Kimi looked confusedly angry. “Excuse me?”

“Sit!” Qharis pulled off her jacket and draped it on the chair beside Kimi’s. She swallowed a deep breath. “Please just sit.”

Kimi locked his jaw. “No.” He walked away.

“Wait—”

“Qharis,” Silver warned as she moved to stop him.

She groaned loudly and gripped her bobbed, silver-coloured hair tightly. “Dad. Is. Mad.” She sat on an empty seat. “Very mad. And if we don’t do something...” She released a strained sigh.