XXIII

The cool night air soothed Kimi’s raging nerves as he sat beside the still swimming pool, his head placed on his raised knees. He was sat alone on the cold tile in the embroided shirt and a sweatpants, hugging his legs to his chest, his head filled with vibrating questions.

Why were Silver’s eyes glowing? Is Silver a cadaver? he thought, biting his top lip. When the sudden image of Aurum’s face raided his mind, with a deep frown, he pondered, how is Aurum a monster? How can he be a monster? Did my mother say the whole truth?

He raised his head and brought his inner wrist to his face. He narrowed his eyes at his skin, wondering if he had ever been bitten by one of the cadavers. And this made him gulp in fear.

Am I one of them?

Kimi looked up to the glittering sky. The moon was nowhere in sight, so the sky was just a black canvas painted with shimmering stars. A wish wasn’t even his last hope for answers.

A noisy wind blew, rattling the various leaves of the many palm trees that dotted the environment. The baggy shirt danced against his skin and he looked down at it. Holding the collar to his nose, Kimi pinched his eyes and inhaled deeply. Nothing but the smell of detergent filled his senses.

I’ve got rid of you. His lips trembled and he thought, but I can’t just lose you completely Aurum. I just can’t. He raised his face to the sky, and hoped on an invisible shooting star. He hoped that all he knew wasn’t going to murder him one day.

Because of the melancholic atmosphere, Kimi felt a great urge to sing. And singing he did, slowly letting out each word of the chorus of a song that was once a comfort. But now it was a kind of death wish.

If I’m lost and broken by fear,
Will you be there for me?
I don’t really care about death,
Cause I’m death itself,
Row my boat down a killing stream,
Dream an ending dream,
What’s there to be lost?
My fear or courage?
If mice have whiskers,
Then I have thorns,
Battle my broken image,
Bring it down to build a knew one,
Hope-filled dreams is a waste of energy,
Pave a way and fly till I reach the end of my fear.

After singing the short chorus, he then quietly hummed it. He sang it once more, and sang it again and again, until it filled his heart with mediocre comfort. The wind seized up and Kimi was left alone in his own, little world. But that world of silence and peace was broken by the sudden sound of rustling. He jumped to his feet in fright.

The wind suddenly picked up, howling as it brought with it a familiar scent that invaded Kimi’s senses. Nothing in the world could have ever brought that smell directly to him, and he tore towards the door that led out of the swimming pool area, his eyes wide in terror. But the sight of a person standing in front of the door made him abruptly stop, which made him trip on air. And he fell with a slapping sound.