Mission

" What are we doing here again? "

The seven boys and their friends walked along the silent halls of the academy, on the way to the library.

" I got a book in the store a few weeks ago about spells and such. I wish to read more of them, " Yaya said, walking gracefully and effortlessly.

" But what about the one you have? I heard books in this library are very thick, " Fang said. Yaya smiled as she scratched her head that was covered by a pink cloth.

" I, uh, sort of finished it in a few hours, " she said with a giggle. They proceeded further down the hallway till they reaches the end. A large door greeted them proudly.

Yaya pushed the doors open with zero effort. They went in the rook to reveal the rest of the hallway filled with compartments of books of any kind. There even was an upstairs, if you will.

" Wicked, " the twins said in excitement. Yaya jumped around happily and giggled.

" There's so many books to choose from! I wanna go to that compartment! Ying, come with me! " she said. She pulled the pigtail girl along with her.

" Ah! Geez, Yaya! Calm down! " she yelped out while being dragged by Yaya. Cyclone chuckled at the scene. He turned back to look at his friends, Quake and Thunder.

Quake's eyes were twinkling at the amount of books before him. He and the others began looking around the large room.

" Solar, look! I found a book about nature! " Leaf said happily as he raised the book to Solar's face. Solar smiled and pet Leaf's head.

" Very interesting, Leaf. Look what I found too! " he said, showing the book he held. Leaf read the cover and mouthed it as he went.

" History of the Magical World, " Leaf's mouth said. His face lit up when he looked at Solar. " That's cool! "

" Hmm.. I guess it wouldn't hurt to read up on the academy's rules and regulations, " Quake said, taking a book from the bookshelf. Cyclone pouted a little.

" Book's aren't to my liking... What's so great about them? " he said with a frown. Quake smiled at his direction.

" Well, it wouldn't hurt to give it a shot. You never know what you might find, " he said. Cyclone looked at him with big eyes, then his frown turned to a smile.

" Oh, alright. I'll give a book a try! " he said happily, earning a cute giggle from Quake.

Thunder scanned the shelves along the path, leaving Quake and Cyclone behind a little. He searched for nothing in particular, until he saw one that caught his attention.

Curses and Spells

Thunder stared at the book for a while, but not long after he decided to take it out of its place. Looking at the cover carefully, he knew he had made his choice.

All of them went to gather at a table further away into the room. They all sat down together and started showing and reading the books they've found.

Cyclone ran through the first page and stared at something quizzically.
" What does 'nonplussed' mean? " he asked Quake, who was reading his own book beside him.

Quake looked at him. " It mainly means bewildered. But many have mistaken it to mean none or uninterested, " he said with a soft tone. Cyclone nodded in understanding and thanked Quake with a smile.

Thunder was not involved in any of conversations that were being held. He was oddly interested in the book in his hands. But just by looking at his eyes, you could tell he was searching for something.

...........

The teenagers had to return the books and head off to training. When they entered their arena, they saw Kaizo with Tarung and KokoCi.

" Uh... What's wrong, masters? " Fang asked as he saluted them.

" You will not be having your training today, " Kaizo announced.

" What? " the boys and girls said in awe. " Why? " the twins said in sync.

" I have a mission for you all. But, it shall not be discussed here. If you will, follow us to our office and we shall continue from there, " Tarung said. The boys and girls quickly saluted and followed them.

They all walked into the room and Kaizo was ordered to lock the doors. Tarung and KokoCi both took their seats at their desks.

" What's to be discussed, masters? " Solar asked.

" Well, as you all have known a few weeks ago, a few teams were granted missions to test their abilities. The goals are mainly to retrieve items or even slay a certain creature, " KokoCi explained. The boys and girls nodded and let them continue.

" One of these missions are to retrieve a rare fossil that can only be found in the Enchanted Forest: the most dangerous forest in these lands, " Tarung said. He looked at his students attentively.

" That mission shall be granted to you, " he said. Many of the boys and girls were shocked and in awe, while few stood their posture.

" Why- why us? " Gopal said with a wobbly tone.

Kaizo chimed in. " You lot are the strongest soldiers we've got in the academy. This task is only capable foe those who are worthy. And you are all accounted for,  " he said as he crossed his arms.

Fang blushed a little while the others stayed silent. They looked back at the two masters before them. " What are the information that we need? " Quake asks.

" It is simple. Said fossil is rumoured to be somewhere near the biggest and oldest tree in the forest, also know as the Mother Tree. The fossil should be near its roots, " KokoCi answered, resting his arms on his desk.

" And- and the location of the tree? " Yaya said.

" Fear not. We have the map to the tree. The only thing you need to do now is: to tell us if you're up for it or not, " Tarung said.

The boys and girls looked at one another. They've been to a few missions, but nothing this dangerous before.

Despite the chances of getting killed in the forest, the boys and girls smirked. What's life without a little cuts and bruises?

" We accept, masters, " Cyclone announced with an appealing smile.

The masters sighed and smiled proudly. Kaizo cracked a little smirk as well.

" Very well. Your mission starts at sundown tomorrow, when the forest is most active. Remember, this will also test your abilities to survive. Retrieve the fossil, and return unharmed and untouched, " Tarung said with a sudden serious tone, his smile turning to a serious frown.

The boys and girls nodded and saluted all three masters. " At your service, masters! "