Chapter Ten - The Truth

(Note: Picture used is Phil's general appearance)

Mike

"You asshole, Mike!" Valerie yelled, slapping me across the face.

"Hey, watch it you stupid bitch!" Jason immediately jumped in.

"Jason, leave it, bro" I told him, slightly stunned at the sudden hit, but knowing I deserved it nonetheless. I felt horrible for what I did to Dylan. I deserved a hundred slaps to my face for what I did because I was more concerned over my reputation than for someone I truly cared about. I lied to my friends when I said he came onto me because I didn't want to be taunted or made fun of, but now I've done something worse, and that was push away someone important to me.

I texted Dylan once lunch break was over, saying how sorry I was and asking if he was okay, but didn't get a response. Dylan didn't return to classes for the rest of the day either, only making my guilt a million times worse.

I tried to call him when school finished, but it went straight to voicemail. Now my guilt was replaced with worry, and my first thought was to go over to his house and talk to him. However, my plan was abruptly stopped when Jason caught me just before I got into my car.

"Hey, Mike! You're still coming to Nate's, right?"

"Huh?"

"You know, we all said we'd go over to play video games and shit. You still in?" he asked

Shit. I'd completely forgotten about that. My conscience was telling me not to go, to make up an excuse to get out of it, but my mind went blank, and I couldn't think of anything on the spot.

"Sure..." I agreed reluctantly

"You okay, bro?"

"Huh? Oh, yeah. It's just...fuck load of drama today, huh?" I chuckled in an attempt to cover myself.

"Yeah, but just forget about that faggot and his freaky friend. See you later?"

"Sure. See you later"

For the rest of the evening, the heavy burden of guilt and anxiety weighed down on me like a ton of bricks. I texted Dylan again before I drove to Nate's from school, but still didn't get an answer. For the rest of the night, I had to pretend to joke along with my friends while we played the Xbox One. I kept my phone close in case I'd hear anything from Dylan, but still got nothing as the night wore on.

By the time I was finally home, I decided that I couldn't take the guilt anymore, and that first thing tomorrow, I'd tell my friends the truth. They'll most definitely reject me and hate me because of it, but I didn't deserve decent friends after what I did to Dylan. In fact, even if I did lose my friends, all I needed was him, and I was stupid for not thinking that before.

Fear hit me the moment I woke up the next morning. The sudden realisation of what I was going to do hit me with a feeling of both anxiety and dread. That, and still no response from Dylan. But then I remembered that I was doing this for him.

My uneasiness only grew worse the moment I stepped towards the school. I saw my friends in our regular spot by the front doors before classes would begin. I gulped hard, trying to ignore the lump in my throat, before taking a deep breath. I decided that it would be easier to just spit it out and tell them. The part I dreaded most was how they'd react to it, which I knew wouldn't be good, especially not from guys like Jason.

"Hey man, what's up?" Jason slapped me on the back.

"Hey, bro..." I mumbled, suddenly feeling horrifically nervous, as if I was about to confess to a crime. Well, to these guys, being gay probably would be seen a crime.