Chapter Thirteen - The Trial

Dylan

It was a couple of days before the trial begun, and when that day finally arrived, I felt physically sick. I don't really know why, considering I wasn't the one at risk of being locked up, and the worst that could happen would be that Dad wouldn't be sentenced. Either way, once the trial was up, I'd never have to see him again. Once it was over, he'd be out of my life for good.

"You okay, babe?" Mike asked as I buttoned up my shirt, my heart beating faster and anxiety knotting my stomach.

"I'm a little scared..." I muttered, my hands quivering as I feebly attempted to loop the last button through the hole.

Mike put his arm around me and pecked my cheek. "Don't be. Remember that whatever happens, he'll never hurt you again"

"I know, but..." I paused to grab his hand. "I just really want him to be punished for what he's done to me"

"So do I, but we're gonna do all we can, okay?"

Out of nowhere, a lump suddenly caught my throat and my eyes suddenly filled with tears without warning, quickly spilling down my cheeks.

"Hey, what's wrong?" Mike immediately noticed, and held me against his strong chest. "What is it?"

"I just...I just can't believe this is happening" I croaked through my tears

"Look, I get that he's your dad and all, but what he did was-"

"It's not that" I corrected him. "I just find this whole thing...overwhelming, I guess"

"Oh, baby..." his voice softened as he kissed the top of my head. "It'll all be over soon. We just gotta get through this together"

"I love you..." my voice muffled against his shirt

"And I love you too"

I pulled away from his chest and leaned up to kiss him. My heart fluttered once again as our lips met, and like magic, it was as if my anxiety had evaporated.

"Mike!" Brett called us from the hallway, just as we stopped kissing. "It's time to go! Are you both ready?"

"Yeah, Dad. Coming!" he replied, before taking my hand and leading me downstairs. I quickly wiped at my face with my sleeve as we left the house and into Brett's car.

On the way, I held Mike's hand tight as the car rolled out the driveway and onto the main road. Whatever was going to happen in that court room, we were going to face together. Mike was all I had, after all.

Dread filled me the moment I saw my family in the court room. My mom and my brother sat beside each other. A few rows behind, I saw my aunt Marie and uncle Trevor from my mom's side, who sat beside my other grandparents from my dad's side. My grandma scowled at me once she caught my eye, whereas my mom didn't even acknowledge me and my brother sat staring at the floor, looking miserable. I felt a little bad that he was dragged into this too. Despite my past resentment, he was a good kid, and it couldn't have been nice for him to watch his own dad possibly get sentenced to jail.

I suddenly felt guilty, because in a way, this was my fault too. If I hadn't been doing the stupid things I did and disobeyed my family, we probably wouldn't be here today. But I brushed it off and remembered that it was Dad who took things too far when he attempted to strangle me, and my family themselves were anything but supportive towards me. It's no wonder I ended up the way I did. They expected a perfect son who'd follow in their footsteps and standards in life, and practically disowned me all because I had my own interests. Some family they were.