Chapter Eleven - Justice

Dylan

Everything that happened next was like a blur. The police sat us all down and discussed with Dad about what just happened, before talking to Mike about what he witnessed. My throat was throbbing in pain, and I could already feel the bruises appearing on my skin. Dad had suddenly become forlorn and pitiful, nothing like the raging monster he was earlier. I glared at him from across the room, pure hatred in my eyes. It was laughable how pathetic he had become the minute the police were involved. I guess he wasn't such the tough guy he made out to be, and it made me hate myself for putting up with his crap for so long.

I had questions to answer to as well and didn't hesitate to spill everything to them - what Dad just did to me and how long the abuse had been going on. Despite how I felt earlier about this, finally getting it out there felt as though a huge weight of fear and hopelessness had finally been lifted from my shoulders and all the burden I had been carrying was finally being taken away, leaving me with new feelings of both hope and gratefulness.

My dad on the other hand tried, and pitifully failed, to guilt trip the cops - telling them about my drinking, the sneaking out, my poor grades, and his "respected" position as a correctional officer. But the cops didn't buy it, knowing it didn't justify the assault, and my dad was eventually arrested.

Mom had just come home from work when she saw what was happening. At first she screamed, demanding to know what happened and why the police were here. Once explained, she broke down into sobs as Dad was taken out the house. Mike and I watched as they lead him to the police car, his pathetic pride now broken.

"Get out of this house, Dylan!" Mom yelled at me the moment the car left. "How dare you get your father arrested! I never want to see you again!"

My jaw dropped in utter disbelief. She knew perfectly well why Dad was arrested, yet she takes his sides nonetheless. I shouldn't have been surprised, but still I screamed: "Are you fucking serious, Mom!? Didn't you hear what he just did to me!?"

"You pushed him, you rotten little bastard! You pushed him over the edge! You've torn this family apart!"

"Mom-"

"I said GET OUT!!" she shrieked. "You're no longer welcome here!"

"Dylan, come on" Mike placed his hand on my shoulder. "Go grab your things, and let's go"

I nodded, and made my way up the stairs to my room. Mike followed, helping me pack my bags. I could hear Mom wailing downstairs, but felt no kind of sympathy towards her. What kind of mother let's their child get hurt that way? More so, actually blame them for it? From that moment, I lost all respect for her and no longer considered her my mom anymore. As far as I was concerned, her and dad were dead to me.

I left Mom to wallow in her own pathetic self pity while Mike drove me to his house. He tried to talk to me on the way, but I didn't answer, remembering all that happened yesterday. He may have saved me back there, but why do that when just yesterday he lied about us, and made it clear he didn't want to be seen with me?

Mike's dad wasn't home when we came back, but Mike left a message to inform him on what just happened. I sat on the couch, staring at the floor, trying to ignore the pain that still pounded aggressively on my neck, as if Dad's hands were still gripped against it, his fingernails digging into my skin as my head became dizzy and my sight unfocused.

"You want one?" Mike disrupted my thoughts as he stood in front of me, offering a can of coke

"Thanks" I mumbled, taking the can from him as I tried to shake off what's happened in the last hour or so.