Chapter 1

The idea of moving away from your parents and into a new city, especially alone, will differ on how good your relationship really is. Arguably, mine had been described as a nuisance by just about everyone else in my life.

My mother and I unpacked the last of my boxes into what would be my new home for the next months. I couldn't help but embrace the excitement of starting somewhere so fresh and so far away from my old town where in and old house, old memories had been stored.

It was amazing to think that the only thing that had mattered to me since I was twelve was now becoming a reality.

"I'm going to miss you so much!" My mother sniffled into my shoulder as she hugged me one last time. "You better call me!"

"I will," I tell her and smile into her hair.

She held me tighter as any mother would when saying goodbye to her only child. I could tell she was more scared than I was when it came to college, and I didn't blame her. I knew that after my dad left, I was the only constant in her life, and now I would be in a new city, five hours away.

"Mom, I'll be fine... I promise." I stretched a smile across my face and pulled an arms length away from her, assuring her that it would all be fine.

"I know you will... I'll just going to miss having you around..." She let out a shaky breath and hugged me again. "Are you sure you have everything?" She asked for the fourth time since we left home.

"Yes." I giggle.

Knowing my mother, she'd probably move in with me if I didn't already have a roommate.

"Okay... I better get going before the traffic gets bad." She sniffled and picked up her second-hand purse.

We walked down the stairs of the building down to the cold, early morning air. I stood on the sidewalk as she climbed into her car, giving me one of her prouder smiles.

"I'll come visit you soon!" She shouted and closed the door, flipping on the engine right after.

"Be safe!" I called out to her, and she slowly began to pull out of the street with glassy eyes.

When I reached the apartment again, I shut the door behind me and took a large breath. I was nervous to be in a city all on my own. I didn't know anyone here besides my new roommate, and I had only met her a few days ago. She, like me, attended UC, though it was now her second year here. She was nice enough to help me bring my moving boxes up to the apartment when I first arrived, and she was friendlier than I ever expected her to be.

I took one last look in the small bathroom mirror before walking into the kitchen. My dark brown hair was sprawled on my shoulders and my blue eyes were darker than usual. I attempted to give my reflection a hopeful smile but failed when my nerves stomped all over me.

I looked around the small space of the apartment, wishing my mother hadn't spent so much money on something like this, even though the expenses were shared with my roommate. I didn't need it and I would have been just as comfortable in a normal college dorm.

All my life my mother couldn't give me the things I needed like other wealthy families. She didn't have a dream job like everyone else. She worked in a company that mistreated their employees and paid her a minimum wage, all while raising me on her own. So I understood why she insisted on the apartment. It was her way of proving that for once, she could give me better, and I knew that I couldn't argue with that. Not when it meant so much to her.

I sat down on the small table across from the kitchen and pulled out my school notes. I had everything planned out for my first day of college, as much as one could plan; from my first class, to the layout of the college map, to near places for coffee. I had made sure that nothing could go wrong and so now, I was finishing up the details.