Chapter 15

On these types of days, the ones where the grass is greener and the sky has no clouds, people walked with their heads raised, and their smiles almost always tugging back at their dimples. It always fascinated me how crowds weaved into one another, how you could pass by so many strangers and not know a single thing about them. It fascinated me how before a certain time in the morning, the whole city was still, and then suddenly, it was packed with traffic.

This morning had been no different. I found myself in that late morning havoc wishing I had gotten through the front door that much quicker. I sat through the red lights enduring them, while listening to my favourite musicians play their symphonies. Hardly did I ever listen to anything other than piano, cello, or violin music. Whether they ranged between Beethoven and Bach or just plain song covers. It was a type of music that you listened to and closed eyes, or just simply studied with and never got sick of.

It wasn't long before I got through the overflowing streets and turned into the campus parking lot to begin my day. After I got home from last night's dinner with Will's family, my sleep deprivation had gone through its peak. I had gone on to watch the sun come up through my slim window and sit between the clouds until my alarm blared on my bedside table hours later.

To say I was tired might have been a small understatement, but I ignored the bags under my eyes and put away my headphones so I could take a seat in the class.

For the most part, the day went well - the only exception being that someone's cell phone went off during one of the classes, and the professor became annoyed, (Which led to a separate lecture on cell phones) but besides that, it went quickly and I left the class earlier than usual.

A bit of walking later, I had found my brown haired friend perched on one of the tables outside. His pen was clutched tightly between his fingers, scribbling things and flicking through pages of some kind of book. We shared a brief smile before we began catching him up on the work from this past week, and it wasn't until he complained about the workload that I laughed and almost threw my book at him.

"Come on, we have two more hours of class before we can go to the library." I giggled.

"Fine." He laughed and picked his things up, throwing his bag strap over his shoulder.

Luckily for us, when we arrived at the auditorium lobby it wasn't too full like every other day we were here. Usually students were either going through the doors each in their own rush, or taking their time a slowing everyone else behind them, down.

Will and I both turned the corner, now talking about the brief specifics of law, and in that fragment of a second, I run into someone made of fine fabric and polished shoes. I blinked in confusion as a man in a tailored suit and dark brown hair, like mine, looked down at me, mirroring my mixed expression perfectly.

"Emma?" He spoke, his voice echoing through the large space.

"H-hi..." I was barely audible through my surprise. "What... what are you doing here?"

"I'm here on business. Actually, I was just about to leave." He narrowed his eyes on me then flicked them to Will who stood quietly beside me. "Is this a friend of yours?" He asked.

I looked over at my friend, who by now was trying to figure out who the man in front of us was, and how he knew me. But by the way he glanced at me anxiously, I knew he had yet to figure it out.

"Yes, this is William." I announce and keep my eyes fixed on him. "Will- this is my father, Sam."

There was a brief silence that lingered over the three of us as we waited for Will to say something. I could see that his face was forming words, yet none seemed to be coming out.