Chapter 21

I was still parked in front of the frat house, hearing the droplets of rain hammer against my windshield as I watched the clouds darken.

I picked up my phone and contemplated calling Myra. I wanted to ask about Elijah and how he was doing, so I dialed her number and waited until the fourth ring when she picked up.

"Hey, where are you?" She asked as soon as she answered.

"I'm outside the frat house. I just dropped Aiden off."

I heard a sigh come from her end.

"Thank you, so much, Emma. You have no idea how grateful I am." Then she added, "I hope he didn't give you too much trouble..."

I thought back to the bar fight, the arguing, and then the kiss.

"None at all." I lie, my cheeks turning bright red in the rearview mirror. "How is Elijah doing?"

Myra waits a little before answering.

"He's doing better. He's all bruised up but he's asleep and thankfully, not in a hospital."

I grind my teeth on my lower lip. "Did you ever find out why they got into the fight?"

"Yes," She laughs. "And you won't believe it."

I looked up at the frat house, most specifically at the windows, wondering which could be connected to Aiden's room.

"Are you sure?" My tone came out accusative, as if she might be lying.

"That's what Lars told me, Emma. They were fighting, arguing really until your name appeared in the conversation. Then something happened and Aiden was on top of him in seconds." I tried my best to hear Myra through the rain that only appeared to get louder by the minute. "Look, I don't know what they were talking about or how your name came up, but Emma, Lars has never seen either of them so angry before. Sure, they've had their disputes between each other but this was different. You... really didn't know any of this?"

"No..." I trailed off, looking up at the frat house again. "I had no idea."

***

The weekend went by far too quickly for my liking. I didn't get to do half of the things I had planned since the professors had suddenly emailed us all new assessments that needed to be completed by the ends of Sunday to Monday. Which took out any chance of having the movie marathon I was so excited for.

Then, as soon as Monday had rolled in with its sunny and clear skies, I uploaded and handed in all tasks with very little sleep the previous night. I wasn't complaining too much, though. It was a new week and I was already ahead of all my classes, which left me with room to do all the things I had missed out on the weekend, to do in the upcoming days.

My feet traveled eagerly to meet with the campus grass again. I had just finished an hour and a half class about culture and now I could finally meet Will and have a proper conversation with him without the subject of studying coming up.

I walked through the one of the halls that led out to the part of campus I was meeting Will, and passed by the large windows on the far side of the building. They gave into the natural light outside and created checkered squares of light to hit the panneled floors. The pillars connecting to the roof hid away the busied college students behind their computers and the stairway leading to the upstairs of the hall was being taken over by backpacks and phone.

There must have been a class that finished in that moment because all those backpacks filled the hall. Their mouths moved all at once and the quiet people who sat on the floor appeared oblivious to the sudden traffic of people.