Chapter 60

Two weeks. Two weeks passed, and Aiden never returned those three words. When I realised the weight they carried and the way Aiden looked at me when I'd said them, all the air was sucked out of the room, even the breath sitting at the bottom of my lungs. And two weeks later, I was on the phone with my mother.

"Merry Christmas, Emma," my mother's voice rattled in my ear.

"Merry Christmas, mom." I returned, comforted by the sound of her voice emitting from my phone.

"I know we aren't on the best terms right now, but I want you to have fun at dinner with your father. None of this is his fault." I inhaled sharply at the use of words.

Our relationship was fragile, but hearing her take the blame for everything as if my father had no part in it, sent a wave of something disturbing through me.

She went on, "Please, don't let my decisions ruin what relationship you have built with him. It's Christmas, don't worry about anything right now. We can talk after the holidays."

I sighed and agreed. No later did she end the call with her usually sweet goodbye. I scrolled through my phone, tapping on Barbara's name and watching as the screen darkened to the phone's ringtone. It was on the third ring that she picked up her phone.

"Emma?" her tone was low, like she had woken from a nap.

"I'm sorry. I hope I'm not disturbing you."

"No, no. Is everything okay?" A ruffling echoed in the background.

"Yes, everything is fine," I told her. "I was just wondering if your invitation for Christmas dinner is still open?"

"Oh! Yes! Of course." She boomed into the microphone. "I'll add an extra plate at the table for you."

I bit my bottom lip, worrying the skin. "Actually, can you make it two extra plates?"

There was thin silence. "Is someone coming with you?" Her voice lowered in a curious yet endearing tone.

"I was hoping to take my...." What was I supposed to call Aiden? A friend? My boyfriend? "A boy." Oh, dear god.

"A boy?" She made a strange sound that resembled something of a gasp or a cough. "Is this boy a friend or... more?"

"Yes," I answered briskly. I did not want to have this conversation, let alone over the phone, while I waited outside the coffee shop.

She chuckled softly and then cleared her throat. "Of course, I can add an extra plate for him." A short pause. "What's his name?"

"Aiden," I picked at a loose string of my jumper. "His name is Aiden."

"Aiden," She repeated, testing out the name for herself. "Is he handsome?"

"What time should I be there?" I changed the subject quickly with the clearing of my throat. She did not press for my answer.

"Eight p.m.," she said lightly. "I look forward to seeing you two tonight."

I shifted from one foot to another. "Should I bring something?"

"Oh, there's no need, honey. I'll see you in a few hours."

Like my mother, she said her goodbye and ended the phone call.

"Everything okay?" Aiden appeared beside me, carrying two cups of coffee each hand.

I nodded and managed a smile.

The truth? No, everything was not okay. Ever since I pronounced those three words, a tightness sat in my chest, unmoving. It settled there like one settles into a new home. In return, Aiden had only kissed me with tenderness, keeping me on his lap for a while longer. We talked about different things happening in our lives, but not once did he reciprocate the words.