Chapter 18

One more hour. That's how long was left of my day before I could go to the apartment and wash away the week with a warm shower. I would dress into my comfy clothes that consisted of a baggy jumper and shorts, and then I would crawl in my bed and watch TED Talks until I fell asleep. I had it all planned out from the moment I left the auditorium to the moment I woke up tomorrow morning. And I was counting down the minutes of my last class to do so.

My leg bounced up and down on the spot while the professor went on about the semester's topics. He usually liked to talk in detail on almost everything no matter what it included. I supposed he just liked talking so I didn't hold it against him, but I could tell everyone else was checking their clocks too, anxious to hear those three words to call out from his mouth.

"You are dismissed. Please don't crowd the doors-!"

He had not even finished his sentence before students were already doing what he asked not to do.

Everyone rushed out and met with their friends on campus. They all talked about their weekend plans as if it had been years since the last ones they made. I smiled walking past the large crowd, pushing each other around and laughing. I dug around my bag, my head far away from where I was supposed to be looking as I searched for my car keys.

The lot was basically empty by now, students were already heading to their dorms and apartments to change into party clothes and obsess over what they would be doing during their next twelve hours of fun. I climb into my car perfectly in time for the phone to ring, my excitement to get home now itching at my fingertips.

Thinking it was either Will or Elijah, perhaps my mother or even my father, I picked it up and slid my finger across the screen to accept the call.

"Hello? Emma?" Myra's panicked voice came through and my excitement extinguished through her sunken breaths.

"Hey," I put down the keys on my lap and throw my bag onto the passenger seat. "What's wrong? Why are you crying?"

"There's been... there's been a situation and I need your help." She sniffled, trying to hide the sound of her sobs. "Are you free right now?"

"Y-yes of course, what's wrong?" My voice was rushed and worried.

Myra was not the kind of person that got riled up often, so I was beginning to worry that the situation she mentioned wasn't just a simple situation like having nothing to wear or a fight with Lars. This sounded different, urgent.

"It's Aiden..." She paused for a moment. "He got into a fight with Elijah and we're all trying to look for him." A single, muffled sob echoed through the line. "Listen, Aiden's hurt him pretty badly and I don't know what to do... I didn't know who else to call. Lars is already on his way to Elijah but Aiden isn't answering any of our calls or texts..."

"Is Elijah okay? What happened?"

"I- I'm not sure, I don't know any details. Lars was the only one there." She almost sounded out of breath, nervous and anxious all at once while she began to cry. "Emma," She said through another sob. "Aiden has the habit of doing impulsive things, bad things, and I'm scared he'll do something to get himself into more trouble."

I don't even hesitate to ask, "Is there anything I can do to help?"

All this information had been coming towards me like a heavy train with no breaks, and I didn't know what to do with it or where to guide it.

"Help me find Aiden." Surely she wasn't serious... I thought. "I know you two don't exactly get along or are on the best terms, but maybe if you talk to him... he'll calm down or something..." She trailed off.