Chapter 44

Aiden and I laid on the couch for a long while, listening to the record on the turntable. The smooth rhythm of rasps evolved into a soothing lullaby and my eyes gradually closed as a wave of calm swept over me.

Just as I fell into a pool of darkness, I was suddenly awoken by a warm and weighty object covering my body. I snuggled into the soft fabric, later realizing I wasn't the one who put it there.

I opened my eyes to the mellow glow peering through the windows. Aiden tucked a blanket under my legs, making sure my feet weren't left in the cold. Once he seemed satisfied that I might be warm enough, he took another look at me, smiling before grabbing a hold of the door of the apartment.

"Where are you going?" I asked him, sitting up against the cushion, the blanket wrinkling at the bottom of my torso.

His head turned and his hand let go of the door handle, moving toward the couch once more.

"I was just... never mind," He whispered awkwardly, crouching in front of me. "I didn't mean to wake you."

"What time is it?"

He pulled out his phone from the back pocket of his jeans, his brows raising slightly. "It's five."

"In the afternoon?" I asked loudly.

"No," He chuckled, "it's morning."

I sighed and dropped my head back onto the cushion I had been laying on.

"You should go to bed and sleep, it's still early to be awake."

"Early?" I probed. "I have to be up in an hour."

"You get up this early every day?" He furrowed his brows in disbelief.

"Don't you?"

He scoffed with a laugh. "Absolutely not. The earliest I'll ever get up is seven, and that's only because I have class."

I rubbed the heel of my palms on my eyes and yawned, stretching my arms above my head before standing up and walking to the pot of coffee sitting on the counter next to the old white kettle. It had been made fresh.

I poured us two cups that were hot enough to leave a trail of vapor above them; we drank our coffee the same way: black and bitter, with no milk or sugar.

Aiden sat at the table and fiddled with the handle until I sat down across from him.

As the coffee from the pot poured between us, so did the conversation. We laughed and spoke about things for the better part of the morning as if we'd known each other for years. Even after the clock struck seven, I continued to fill my cup to the brim, enjoying the sound of Aiden's deep voice as it spoke about the details of the record player.

When I finally realized the time, I sprang to my feet, nearly spilling the cup.

"Oh, holy cows and mountains, I am so late!" I gulped down what remained of the coffee swiftly and rushed to my room.

"Holy cows and mountains?" He repeated, laughing and completely unconcerned with the fact we'd both be late to class.

"Emma?" He called from the kitchen.

Meanwhile, upset that I didn't have time to shower, I changed out of my sweatpants and into blue jeans with a brightly colored sweater.

"Emma?" Aiden appeared at my door, knocking.

"What?"

He chuckled contagiously. "Emma, it's Monday."

I pause, "Why do you think I'm panicking?"