Chapter 36

I strode through campus in a hurry to get home. I felt frustrated with everything and everyone around me. My bag weighed down on my shoulder, causing a red strap mark to imprint on my skin until I threw it into the passenger seat.

I blew out a puff of air from my mouth and shut my eyes to the sound of silence surrounding me. After getting through one of my busier days in the week, I needed a little time to myself. To sleep, most of all.

The minute I stepped through the apartment, I dropped my bag on the table where I wouldn't be so overwhelmed by the sight of assignments I needed to complete in the coming week. I hardly had a break for anything anymore. Between my job at the library and college, I barely had a personal life.

I shut off my phone completely, not bearing the sound of notifications reminding me once again that there were things and people outside of my small room in this big city.

My head connected with the softness of my pillow as soon as I crawled into my bed. Within seconds of closing my eyes against the cool surface, I found sleep.

The following day after my classes finished, I headed to the library listening to my oldest playlist filled with my oldest songs. The hum of my car added a soft background noise which contributed to the piano and violin.

"Hey, Emma." Kate greeted me with her bright, soulful smile.

"How are you, Kate?" I greeted her.

"Exhausted. I need a weekend or two."

I chuckled and nodded, feeling the same way.

"Anyways, today's not too busy but there's still a stack of books on the bench over there." She pointed behind her right shoulder while she flicked through a book of her own.

"Reading anything good?" I asked her as I began scanning books and placing them in a small cart.

"Oh," She closed the book, and a soft, pink cloud formed on her cheeks. "It's alright."

"She's reading an erotic romance." Arthur cut in, leaning against the doorframe.

"I am not!" Kate raised her voice, far too defensively.

I giggled and shook my head. "It's alright, Kate, it's nothing to be embarrassed about."

"Embarrassed?" Arthur looked at me, his brows furrowed. "Why would anyone be embarrassed?" He shot his head to Kate, "Are you embarrassed, Kate?"

Kate's eyes went wide. "I am not reading an erotic romance!"

"Well, you should be." He informed her boldly. "With those two slimy kids you have, I bet you're not getting any action lately. And it shows."

I brought my hand to my mouth and turned my head trying in my best efforts to avoid laughing.

"You are one to talk. You're – what – eighty? Do things even work for you down in the nether regions?"

Arthur was not at all phased by Kate. On the contrary, he smirked and crossed his arms against his chest as he sat down on an office chair.

"I am delighted to inform you that I have my ways around those particular issues." He narrowed his eyes on her, "And I am not eighty. I am seventy-nine. There's a difference."

It wasn't possible, but if it was, fumes would have come out of Kate's ears at that moment.

Arthur swiveled in his chair like a restless child and faced me head-on.

"What about you, Emma? Any bachelors lining up?"

"Oh," I scanned another book. "err, I don't think so. No."