Chapter 32

Five days felt like five weeks. I grew exhausted from staring at the pages of my essay, continuously rearranging the same words to no end. I spent hours reading it over and over again to be sure that I hadn't made any mistakes, yet I ended up scrunching up and deleting everything on my word documents only to begin the whole process again. Honestly, the only way I managed to get it all done was through seven cups of straight black coffee.

The apartment remained lonesome after Will left. My entire room, apart from the lingering smell of caffeine on my clothes, exuded far too gruesome for a girl who usually made it a habit of keeping everything clean and tidy. So, when Wednesday came around and my job at the library would begin, I cleaned the entire place and showered.

With a towel around my hair, I opened a few windows and glanced at the background picture of my phone, sighing deeply. There were no missed calls, no text messages. Nothing. It muddled me that I hadn't heard or seen Aiden since he drove away either, or that he didn't make an effort to contact me. I fought myself, the urge to ask Myra or Lars about him, to go and see him myself, but I stayed put and locked myself in my room, knowing there were far more important things like my future that I needed to be thinking about, rather than a boy who was just as confused and unsure about his feelings as I was.

I packed my things into the backpack I bought last week, the day after Will stayed over. It was his idea, in fact. He urged me to buy a new one, informing me that he couldn't stand the sight of me struggling with a broken bag strap and my books falling out every time I leaned over.

I locked the door behind me and held onto the railing as I sped down the stairs towards the front doors. The cold air nipped at hands and face, turning them ice-cold by the time I gripped the steering wheel of my car.

When the soft rumbles came from the engine, I headed out to start my day at the college with a jitter in my fingers. I was anxious to start the library job. It made my heart pound and my guts wrench. It both terrified me and excited me to think that I would be making my own money, and that the worry of rent not being paid, would be gone. Both my legs bounced to the idea as I carried through my class schedule of the day.

My last lesson of the day had coincidentally been arranged closer to the parking lot than any of the others, which meant that all I could think of during my writings and cultures class was meeting Elijah.

I checked the clock above the professor every chance I could get and by the end, everyone seemed to be doing the same, including the professor himself.

"Have a good night everyone. Make sure you have completed all the assignments," He said, packing his things into his bag like the rest of us.

I passed through the double doors and into the hall, walking down the footpath that led to the car park. The moment I got there, I took my phone out of my pocket and turned it on. While I waited for the screen to light up again, I lifted my head and took a few seconds to enjoy the afternoon glow on my face, and the little warmth came with it.

I sat down on the bench that overlooked the parking lot and observed as each student stepped into their car and would eventually drive off.

I found it comical how the rare few vehicles had awkward stickers, or words placed on them made from the dirt it collected over time. Some caused me to shake my head and others plainly made me chuckle at how creative people were.

But then my phone vibrated in my hand and my gaze broke from the amusement and connected with Elijah's name.

"Hey! I just wanted to let you know I'm on my way to you now. My classes finished a while ago and I went to get a bite so I'll come and get you, is that alright?"