Chapter 20

At first, I didn't feel anything.

The streets were quiet, at rest without noise while my head was sounding alarms of all kind. The warmth of his lips covered mine, and all of a sudden, I realized that not only had I caught him off guard, but now he was kissing me back.

Without warning, something switched – something that I couldn't control ignited and ran over my skin like a hot fire, chasing a line of endless gasoline. It felt like there were clouds beneath my feet, like there were flowers growing inside my chest and blooming at the sight of spring.

His bruised hands traveled to my cheek, kissing me back, feeling the skin in a way I had never been touched before. Everything about his warmth, delved and coated with the taste of alcohol almost made me want to pull away, but I couldn't. He obliterated every one of my thoughts and all of the warnings and red flags I had received were thrown to the curb, enlightened by his hold on me.

When he eventually withdrew from me – surprisingly hesitant – I looked in his eyes and saw the swirled emotions of anger, confusion, want and need.

However, as I searched further into the grey, I was immediately reminded of the torment and rudeness he had put me through. The way he had made me cry, and feel worthless. All of it began to storm over my head, making me realise what I had just done.

"Emma-" Aiden began to speak; his voice low and gentle as if he battled with himself.

"This..." I start. "This... never happened." I shook my head, eyes wide, trying to convince not only him but also myself of what I had just said.

I didn't know what this kiss meant and suddenly I was urging with questions.

Was it a really mistake? Did it mean anything? Would this change things between us? Did he feel something like I did?

His eyebrows instantly creased and the line between them folded. "What?"

"I'm- I'm sorry. I never should have kissed you... I didn't know what I was doing... I just-" I began to ramble, making up some kind of acceptable excuse. "You can't tell anyone, please."

He scoffed, and then crossed his strong arms against his chest creating a smug look on his face.

He leaned, breath hot against my pink cheeks. "Who said it was worth telling?" He mocked me in a whisper.

I tilted my head up to meet his height. "Just... promise me, okay?"

"Fine, whatever." With a huff he turned on his heel and walked off.

"Where are you going?" I shot after him.

"Why do you care?" He said back, remaining calm while he reached the door of his car.

"You're drunk... you- you can't drive..."

Aiden paused and looked up at me, stretching his hands out in the air, sarcastically.

"Does it look like I give a damn?" He drops his hands to his sides, flopping against his jeans.

"Well I can't just let you drive drunk, Aiden."

He chuckles to himself and opens the door, not yet getting in. "I wasn't aware we were pretending to care about each other." My lips part away. "Look, Emma, it was just a stupid kiss. Don't get all sentimental, okay? It didn't mean anything."

I wasn't aware of the reason why, but suddenly Aiden saying the kiss meant nothing, made my stomach twist into knots. I cleared my throat and looked away at the ground to hide the feeling.

"No... I get it I just-." I met his eyes again. "I can call Myra or Lars, they could come and pick you up..."

"No," He ran a single hand through his black hair, curls falling around his perfectly framed face before he pushed them out of the way with annoyance. "You won't let this go, will you?"