Chapter 8

Lacie:

I'd found my way up to the roof and began pacing. The only reason the others and I were staying here was for their sake. They still think Lexie's here. We only We only had two more states to check. Indiana and Ohio. 

I sighed as I sat down. Then I heard quiet footsteps. 

"You can't surprise someone like me." I stood up. "That's one. Two, we're leaving. Tonight." 

"What? C'mon. There are still plenty of places we have left to check--" Jack tried to argue but I cut him off. 

"Face it, Jack. Lexie. Isn't. Here. Anymore. She's on the run, looking for us. We need to find her before she dies." 

"Okay..." He mumbled.

"Good. Now. We need to find some way to get off this roof without being noticed." 

I looked towards the side of the roof then looked  back at the others. 

"Lacie. No.Remember what happened the last time we jumped off a roof?" Sadie asked. 

"It should be easier now that we all have our wings. Now let's go." 

I heard them groan before I jumped. 

The last time we had to jump off a roof, I had to catch Sadie and Emily. I ended up tripping before I caught Sadie and she landed on her back. She's been uneasy around the edges of roofs ever since.

I saw the ground nearing so I let my wings out, then landed without a sound. I whistled to let the others know to come down and, soon enough, I saw six bodies coming down. 

I moved my shoulders in attempt to get comfortable with my wings again. It's been a while since I've had them out. I looked behind them to see them, missing how they looked. They were red, the same color as my eyes. 

I jumped a bit when I heard the quiet thud of feet hitting the ground. 

I looked around me, checking if everyone was ready to leave. They were all distracted with getting comfortable with their wings again. Gabe's wings were black, Luke's were white, Jack's were silver, Gabriel's were a deep, dark purple, Sadie's were pink, and Emily's were a pale blue. 

"Alright. If you guys are done, we need to get to Indiana." I said as I walked off with the others following closely behind. On our way to Indiana, I prayed that Lexie wasn't gonna be dead by the time we found her.