Chapter 9

I shot up in bed, panting, and looked around the room. Alice and Oz were asleep on the bed close to the window while Elliot was at my side, in a deep sleep. 

I sighed as I started to calm down. Curse these damn nightmares. 

I got up as quietly as I could to go to the kitchen for water. After I got a drink, I stood at the counter for a while, thinking. 

We had gotten to Ohio a couple hours ago and decided that we should rest before we go out to look for Lacie and the others. But I can't help but wonder what would happen if we never find them. Would I give up on all hope of ever finding them? Would I go insane with the though of them being out there somewhere, looking for me. I sighed. I started worrying about other things. Would my eyes ever turn blue again? Would the fangs ever go away? 

I can feel my body slowly deteriorating each minute. What if I am a vampire angel? What if I go nuts and try to kill everyone around me? What if...

"Hey, you okay?" 

I jumped a bit and whirled around to face Elliot. He looked half asleep, his hair was mussed up, and he was wearing his pajama pants that rode low on his hips.

"Uh...Yeah. Yeah, I'm fine. What're you doing up?" 

He shrugged. "I guess I noticed you were gone in my sleep. Your side of the bed felt lighter. And I woke up. Why are you up?" 

"Oh. I had another nightmare. I was just about to go back to bed." 

"You seem distracted...What's wrong?" 

"Nothing." I lied. 

"Lexie...What's wrong?"

I sighed. "What if...What if we never find them? What if I am a vampire angel and I go nuts and try to kill everyone? What would we do then?"

Elliot sighed and ruffled his hair. "I don't know. Like Alice said, we have to wait till you're done changing to be sure." 

I debated on telling him. 

"Lexie?" 

"It feels like I'm dying slowly each minute. Like, I actually feel it, Elliot. I don't think I'm strong enough to last through this transformation...What if I die...?" 

"Look, we'll talk to Alice about it tomorrow morning, okay?" I nodded. "Can we go back to bed? We're searching first tomorrow." 

I nodded again and followed Elliot to the bed he and I shared. After he and I got under the covers, I turned my back to him and tried to stop worrying. It didn't work and I couldn't fall asleep. 

I felt Elliot's arms snake around my waist and heard him quietly tell me to go to sleep. I turned around and put my head on his chest. Soon after that, I fell asleep again, listening to Elliot's heartbeat.