I love you both

Gabriel entered the ER and saw Nathalie sitting in the waiting room. Staring blankly at the floor. He sat next to her.

-Where is Adrien? – he asked.

-They took him to the CT – he will be back in some minutes. -They didn't let me go with him-. She was still looking at the floor; she raised her eyes and looked at Gabriel.

-I am so sorry, I have no idea why he said that, I never planned to...

-Shh, it's okay, it was natural. You spend so much time with him, you take care of him, help him with his homework, look after him when he's sick. What did you expect?

-But I...

-I said it's okay. Let's just focus on Adrien, yes? – he put his hand on hers.

-Yes – murmured Nathalie.

Gabriel spent his travel to the hospital thinking about his son and Nathalie. He realized how important she was for her son, he realized that Nathalie was the one that brought both, father and son, closer. She was the glue that kept this broken family together. She was the glue that kept him from falling apart.

Adrien came back from the CT and Dr. Laurent approached them.

-So, it is confirmed, labs and CT confirm appendicitis. We will need to operate.

Nathalie felt like fainting.

-Can I see him? – she asked.

-Of course. Mr. Agreste would you come with me to sign all the paperwork?

-Yes, just let me talk to him – answered Gabriel.

-Of course, I will be waiting for you.

Nathalie and Gabriel went through the curtain to where Adrien was lying.

-Nathalie, father – he said.

-Hi Adrien, how are you feeling? – asked Nathalie in a very maternal tone.

-I am better, they already administered pain-killers – he said. -They will operate me, right?

-Yes son, but you will be asleep, you won't see or feel anything. Before you realize you will be back with us – said Gabriel.

-With both of you?

Gabriel and Nathalie exchanged looks.

-Well yes, of course, we will be there, ALL the time – answered Nathalie, a little intrigued by the kid's question.

-I need to go sign the paperwork, Nathalie would you mind staying with him? – Gabriel asked.

-Of course, Sir – she said.

Gabriel left.

Adrien was holding Nathalie's hand.

-I am sorry if I made you feel uncomfortable – he apologized.

-No! It's okay. I mean, I do love you as my own child- she smiled at him. -There is nothing I wouldn't do for you.

-And for father?

Nathalie had a hard time swallowing.

-Of course, for your father too – she confessed.

Adrien smiled.

-I just need to know, will you look after him?

-Always, Adrien, I will always look after you both. Why are you asking this?

-I don't know, I might die in there. It's a possibility – said the kid.

-Oh my God! That is not going to happen don't say such things – she answered.

-I am scared.

Nathalie felt tears clouding her eyes, but she couldn't cry. She had to be strong for Adrien.

-Nothing is going to happen to you, not on my watch. I promise you, when you feel better, we can go have a picnic.

-The three of us?

-Yes, the three of us. You, your father and me – answered Nathalie.

Gabriel stood quietly staring at Nathalie and his son. He was deeply touched by this conversation. None of both actually saw him standing there until the nurse appeared.

-Alright Mr. Agreste, time to take you to the OR – said the nurse.

-Nathalie, I am scared – said Adrien.

-No, don't be. I love you, we both love you so much. We will be right here waiting for you. Okay? – Nathalie held the kid's hand.

-Okay. I love you both.

-I love you Adrien – said Gabriel kissing his son's forehead.

Nathalie slowly let go of Adrien's hand. She felt as if she was losing her own hand, the pain in her chest was too much to bear. She immediately held Gabriel's hand.

The nurse took Adrien's stretcher away.

Nathalie and Gabriel stood behind holding each other's hand.

-Mr. Agreste – Dr. Laurent distracted both.

-Doctor, is everything ready?

-Yes, you can wait in the OR's waiting room or in Adrien's room, it's suite number 301.

-We prefer the waiting room. 

-Alright, come this way.

They spoke in the elevator about Adrien's procedure, anesthesia, and other details about the surgery. Nathalie and Gabriel followed Dr. Laurent still holding hands.

-Here is the waiting room, I will see you both in a bit. I promise to take care of Adrien.

-Thank you – said Nathalie.

Dr. Laurent went into the OR leaving Nathalie and Gabriel alone. The waiting room was a small room, it had only one sofa, a small fridge with water and sodas. A Nespresso machine and a TV.

Nathalie dropped her body into the sofa. Gabriel sat next to her.

-This is not happening – said Nathalie putting her face in between her hands. -It's not happening, it's not happening.

-Hey – said Gabriel putting his hand on her cheek. -He is going to be fine, he's strong, do you want a coffee?

-Well, I... yes – answered Nathalie.

-Alright, I will make coffee for us. This machine I know how to use.

Nathalie let out a small laugh.