My fault

When Nathalie came back to her seat Adrien smiled widely.

-You were amazing, told you.

-Oh, Adrien – she smiled but immediately got surprised by a gentle touch on her shoulder.

-Excuse me, Mrs. Agreste, is this seat taken? – asked in her ear the manly voice she so loved.

Adrien burst into laughter, Nathalie only blushed and denied with her head, rushing to move her jacket off the chair.

Gabriel sat down and stared at her.

-So as soon as I came in, that little girl over there said my wife and son were already here – started Gabriel. -Adrien?

-Don't look at me, I only told her I was here with a parent. I am a minor, I am supposed to be escorted by one.

-Adrien! – said Nathalie in an exalted, yet quiet voice.

The kid laughed again.

-Need to go to the bathroom, if you two excuse me – said Adrien still laughing.

-This conversation is not over, young man – warned Gabriel as Adrien walked away.

-I am so sorry, Sir. I... - started Nathalie.

-I think my last name really suits your name. – he whispered into her ear.

Nathalie felt a cold shiver down her spine. She, suddenly, felt the universe collapsing over her.

-Gabriel... - she whispered back.

-GABRIEL SUPER AGRESTE!!!

They both turned their heads to the owner of such a loud voice.

-Jagged Stone – greeted Gabriel.

-Listen, I reeeeally need your help. I totally need a new outfit for my new tour, you know... something... fresh... inspiring... full of ROCK!!!

-Jagged, I really feel... - started Gabriel.

-Delighted to help you – said Nathalie, finishing Gabriel's sentence smiling.

Gabriel gave her a cold look.

-I'll let you two talk. I need to fix my makeup – she said standing up. -Mr. Agreste, Mr. Stone.

Nathalie was trying to calm down her heartbeat as she walked up to the bathroom.

-Nathalie Sancoeur – said a woman's voice behind her, just past the stairs.

-Mrs. Bourgeois, what a lovely evening – greeted Nathalie.

-Thank you, I know – she said in a rough voice. – Listen, I saw your pretty face bright up in pride when the Host called you Mrs. Agreste. But let me tell you this, you are NOTHING compared to the great Emilie Agreste. How can you compare yourself to her? Being Adrien's mother? Please, you are ridiculous, utterly ridiculous. Feel like a princess tonight? Enjoy, tomorrow you will be Ugly Betty again. Making my point clear, enjoy the evening, dear.

Nathalie was mute as she saw Audrey Bourgeois walk away. Her heart was broken-down to pieces. Yet, she was right, if for a second she dreamt she could permanently be called Mrs. Agreste, she was wrong. She was Gabriel's assistant, and that's all, that was her place. She was nothing compared to Emilie.

Her last name wasn't Agreste, it was Sancoeur, heartless, she always kept that in mind. She inhaled deeply, dissolving the tears that had formed in her eyes. She sighed heavily and returned to the crowd as if nothing had upset her.