Forever

Gabriel was lying on the sofa with his eyes closed. He felt the lightweight of his baby over his chest. Demian was 4 years old, and yet, he loved sleeping on his father's chest.

He sometimes thought back to the moment Nathalie told him about her pregnancy, the moment he proposed. That night, when they went to bed, Gabriel leaned to Nathalie's belly and kissed it softly.

He was surprised and scared, but also very happy. He felt he had won a new opportunity to be a better man. And now here he was, on his sofa, and for the very first time, he felt at peace.

He wouldn't change this for anything.

Absolutely anything.

-Daddy?

-Yes, darling?

-Can we have some ice-cream?

-Demian, honey, you are sick - said Nathalie through the rear-view mirror.

-Oh, come on, Mom - answered Adrien -Ice cream is good for the throat, it's cold.

-PLEEEEAAAAASEEEE!!! - cried the kid.

-Next week, okay? - said Gabriel. -And we'll go to the park.

-Yeeeesss!!!

-Do we have a deal?

-Yes, daddy.

Nathalie smiled at Gabriel and gently rubbed her pregnant belly.

She was expecting their second baby, a girl.

One night, Nathalie was lying in bed going through some emails, when Gabriel came to bed. He kissed her softly and took the iPad from her hands.

-What... but Damien...

-Shhh - he interrupted.

Nathalie smiled and stared at him.

-He is asleep - he said - I love you so much, Mrs. Agreste.

Her smile grew wider.

-And I love you, so much - she answered - And I love when you act like this, but, what's the occasion?

-I just... I am just so lucky.

-Yes?

-Yes - he answered - I used to have a loving wife, a good life, but destiny took her from me. I tried, God, you amongst everyone know how much I tried. And then... I was hit by reality, I was falling in love with my assistant, my confidant, my partner in crime. And now... She is my wife. Not only my wife, I have a son with her and this... - kisses her belly - gorgeous girl.

He made a pause.

-I wouldn't change this for anything - he said whispering into her stomach.

-Oh, Gabriel - she smiled and caressed his hair - What did I do to deserve you?

-I could ask the same.

-Thank you.

-For what?

-For being the best woman in this world, for being the best mother Adrien, Demian, and my princess could ever get.

-Stop it, honey - she smiled - You are making me cry.

-I can't stop it. You, your maternal instincts, flipped my world.

-Gabriel, there is nothing, nothing I wouldn't do for you or our family.

-Remember our days as Hawkmoth and Mayura? - he asked.

-How can I forget? - she laughed.

-Well, this adventure is way better.

-By far.

-Goodnight my beautiful peahen - he said - And to you, my baby butterfly.

He rubbed her belly. Making Nathalie smile.

She kissed his lips.

-As I did at our wedding, I promise to look after you and our family. Forever.

-Our family - she smiled - I love how that sounds.

-Ours - he whispered - Forever.

THE END.