Chapter 10.

"Eli, I want you to take this." The man said holding out a little white pill and a bottle of water. I looked at it blankly for a moment before holding out my hand. "Just open your mouth." He pushed my hand away. I opened my mouth flattening out my tongue against the bottom.

He dropped the pill in and then poured some water into my mouth. I swallowed the pill not caring what it was. I'd long quit crying but then I just felt numb. Shock seemed to be setting in.

"It'll help you sleep. If you need me just holler, I'll be outside." I didn't want to be near him but the thought of being alone sounded so much worse.

"No! Please don't leave me." I begged eyes filling with tears again. He looked at me surprised. "I don't want to be alone. Please, just stay?"

He sighed and laid down next to me. "I won't leave, I'll stay right here. Now try to relax so you can go to sleep."

I rolled over burying my face in his chest, the awkward position caused my shoulder to hurt. It was twisted in a weird way but I needed to feel close to someone. He uncuffed my hand and pulled my arm down so it was by my side. He put his arms around me and pulled me closer.

"Jace." He said suddenly.

"I'm sorry?"

"My name is Jace. You may call me Jace." He sounded like he hadn't heard his own name in a while.

"Jace. May I ask a few questions?" His name flowed from my mouth smoothly.

"Go for it." I was really surprised by his answer.

"Why'd you Kat to be your victim?"

"Because she was alone and vulnerable."

"Then why didn't you kill me too? It would have saved you a lot of trouble. He sighed.

"I liked your eyes. I recognized your eyes."

"Jace, what's a rib?" I was afraid of the answer but I was getting tired and I needed to know.

"The same thing as a wife." He told me seriously. A wife? I understood better why being raped was inevitable. My eyes didn't want to stay open." Today could have been avoided had you just listened. I wanted to wait until... I just didn't want to hurt you. But you tried to escape. If you'd just stayed put then thag man would still be alive. You had to be punished."

"Not like thay." I mumbled as I fell sleep.