Chapter 25

We arrived at the store and Jace led me inside. I looked around the small shop taking in the view that I hadn't seen in so long. It felt good just being there. Jace slowly led me through the store grabbing random things to get us to the next stop. I stayed close to Jace, cringing when a stranger got too close and quickly looking away if we made eye contact.

"What kind of candy do you want?" Jace asked taking me down the designated aisle. I picked out a bag of lollipops and he just nodded. We made our way to check out where an older lady was working.

Her white hair was the stereotypical short fluff on her head and her brown eyes were surrounded by wrinkles. She gave us a yellowed smile, shaking hands grabbing the first item to scan.

"Say young man, you look familiar." She stated giving me a look.

"Guess I just have a familiar face." I said quietly avoiding eye contact.

"Where are you two headed?" She asked. I hated her.

"To Wisconsin, I have family there." Jace lied smoothly. She hummed.

"That's quite the drive. I have a son that lives there. My kids just scattered after college." She laughed. "And you'll never believe what my daughter told me.  In a town not too far from where she lives a girl commit suicide, or so the polive said, and that same day she was discovered her bestfriend was reported missing. How strange right?" I hated her so much.

"That is strange. Do you think he did it?" Jace asked handing her money.

"Maybe, but maybe he had help." She looked pointedly at Jace. I'd never wanted to hit an old lady before but had Jace not led me out swiftly I would have throttled that bitch.

"Change of plans, were leaving now." Jace said quietly pushing me to get in the van. "We'll stop by the house and grab a few sets of clothes then we're on our way. Understood?"

I nodded getting a sinking feeling in my chest. That stupid cunt was going to call the cops but Jace was calm and collected until we got to the house. He left the van running while we ran inside and started throwing things into a bag.

"Fuck!" Jace shouted when he heard the sirens.