Chapter 23

"Veggie burgers?" I questioned after swallowing my food. Jace nodded looking almost nervous. I smiled. "Thank you. They're perfect." He smiled back taking a bite out of his own food before making a face.

"Why would you choose to eat this garbage? It's not horrible but it's not good." I laughed at his face and he paused. "What's so funny?"

"First off I chose to be a vegetarian because I didn't care for meat to begin with. And second, you should have seen your face."

Dinner was good. Bedtime was awesome as Jace let me touch his body. My fingers tracing all the little scars. "Where'd you get these?"

"Some of them are from me, accidents, some are from victims who fought back, most of them are from my father." I glanced at him.

"Your father gave you most of these? How?" I traced a circular one with my fingers.

"Knives, cigarettes, screw drivers, hammers. It's how I learned to never be careless."

"Did you always want to be a murderer?" He was opening up and that gave me a warm feeling in my chest.

"No, after reading some of the medical textbooks I wanted to be a doctor. I wanted to help people, not hurt them." I swallowed hard. The irony that Jace had wanted to save lives instead of take them was lost on me.

"It's not too late." My voice was a whisper as I watched him closely. He frowned. "You could still go to school and become a doctor."

"Eli, we're not talking about this." He warned. I nodded dropoing the conversation. My fingers traced up his chest stopping at his collar bone. He closed his eyes taking my broken hand carefully in his. I smiled content.

I didn't sleep well. Curled up against Jace's back my thoughts kept getting out of control. I thought about his father and how hard it must have been growing up in that situation. I couldn't help but feel sorry for him.

Jace wasn't as bad as I'd originally thought. His father hadn't given him an option when it came to his own life. He had never been able to be anything but what he was made to be, making him as much of a victim as the people he'd killed. He just needed some form of happiness in his life and with new resolve that's what I wanted to be. I wanted to be the thing that made his life worth living.