Chapter 13

Jace took what felt like hours to return from the store, while I was locked in the basement with just my thoughts. I was so tired of just thinking. It hadn't gotten me anywhere but with a half formed plan to escape that would probably get me killed. Slowly, I seemed to be gaining Jace's trust. Instead of being securely tied or cuffed to a bed I was free to roam a locked basement. It wouldn't take long for Jace to get careless and give me an opening, I just had to make sure I didn't jump the gun.

I wasn't good at planning. I'd always left someone else in charge of making plans. It use to be Mom and Jake but once I met Kat she took over our plans flawlessly. They were detail people while I couldn't sort through those same smaller details despite years of reading books every chance I got.

Books had been a favorite pass time before Jake went missing, after though they became an escape from reality. Until I met Kat my days were dark blurs of grey that shaped themselves into walls and slowly caved in. Before Kat came with her light ginger mane, freckled cheeks, brown eyes, and amazing dimples I'd been lost.

She always encouraged me to be my best and supported me at my worst. I couldn't help but miss certain things. Like the way her eyes would light up when she'd talk about the stars in the sky or the universe. The way her shoulders would relax as we watched the latest super hero movie. The magic in her dimpled smile when she'd tell me excitedly her plans for us. She'd planned our high school and college days then joke about our wedding and how we'd spend our honeymoon locked in the house we'd bought playing video games.

I would have married her too. I didn't care if it was a platonic marriage, I loved her and would have given anything to keep her happy.

But she was dead and nothing could be done. I was most likely to be next. The thought didn't bother me as much as it had at first. I didn't want to die and dying scared me but slowly I was coming to terms with I no longer had control over my life.

Jace was slowly taking over everything about me. He, solely, was in control and there was nothing I could do about it unless I gained his trust and escaped that way. His control was too much, his inhuman way of thinking was painful, and his obession was smothering.