Chapter four

Joe was shaking like a leaf backstage, and couldn't find a calm presence the amongst hectic atmosphere he seemed to be flooded in by. It was drowning him almost, the music ringing through his ears mixed with the never ending flow of noise, feeling as though peace and quiet were a far fetched idea. There were all kinds of crew; stage managers, some stressed runners, all types making sure the show run smoothly, a few other celebrities also present, taking everything in, which all seemed so surreal, to all of them.

He was dressed in a coral suit, which, to his surprise, he had come to really like, especially the shirt which had more than one colour on it, patterned somehow. Although there weren't many dashing sequins, Joe didn't feel the need for them with the vibrance and the bold hue of the suit.

He walked into the star bar, hoping to find it a little quieter than backstage, which it was. His eyes scanned the room, Stacey Dooley sat on a sofa and signalling him over. Internally, he sighed with relief. After sitting down, he placed his hands on his lap.

"This is it. We're finding our partners out Stace, any one you're hoping for?" She shrugged, looking to the left slightly. "You're lying." Joe chuckled, Stacey burst out laughing and cursed herself, aloud.

It's funny how one look can give so much away.

"Damn it! I was hoping to get out of that one. So, I know we're not meant to have anyone in particular, but between me and you bro, I really want Kevin. I mean, he's been in the final four times!"

Joe smiled, nodding. He had grown to become close mates with Kevin, they were like the two amigos, almost a double act. Joe and Kevin, that would be plastered all over billboards one day, at least that's what Katya Jones said outside the Studio one time while the two boys had been goofing around.

"Oh I like Kevin, he's a legend. You two would work really well. You never know, you could make it to the final this year, or even win!" Stacey chuckled, coyly. They noticed a runner looking around the room, finding her next contestant.

"I don't know about that, but I'll try. How far do you want to get?" Stacey took a sip of her water, gulping it back in one swift motion. Lee Ryan also came to sit, also dressed in a dazzling ensemble.

"Blackpool. For my Nan, she used to dance there when she was younger, competitions and things. Saying that, yesterday I found out that was week nine so I don't know, but I'll give it a go." Stacey cooed, Lee grinned.

"That's sweet." Joe smiled, but before he could say anything else the runner came to the three of them, in a rather panicked state.

"Joe, Lee. You're up, we don't have much time." They both stood up, Stacey tapping them both on their shoulders at the same time. Part of her was eager to see who they would be spending the next few months with, part of her was sad that they couldn't chat away more.

"Come on mate, lets do this." Joe nodded at Lee, both hurriedly walking away with the runner who was a few metres ahead, the nerves settling into them both swiftly. Stacey looked around, no one else in the room. Silence.

"Because I'm all alone, there's no one here beside me..."

///

"You mentioned that you wanted to get to Blackpool for your nan?" Joe nodded, too nervous for his own good.

Standing there with Tess felt so surreal for Joe, the judges all watching along with the audience who cheered and clapped at every opportunity, creating an electric atmosphere. There were four girls stood on the cake stage, one of which was fortunately Dianne. Oti was stood at the front, the other three on the raised part of the stage. They all looked confident, almost like pageant contestants.