Chapter thirteen

"I know, not being able to do that after every dance." The two stood in a comfortable silence, both tired from a day of dancing. "It'll be tough, but we'll be alright."

"We will. You're so smart, one of the many reasons why..."

Her head was like a barrier, stopping her from finishing that sentence. She had realised before it was too late, that there was a chance someone would hear, but her heart wanted to shout it from the rooftops, telling him exactly how she felt.

"Why what, Dianne?" His voice was soft, but curious at the same time, quiet but it's words speaking volumes.

Joe was trying his very hardest not to get his hopes up, except that when the voice in his head finished that sentence, it was like a flock of butterflies had entered his stomach. A part of him doubted what she may or may not say, but part of him had a feeling that we she might say would make him one very happy man.

She glanced to the windows, checking for the outside world. She glanced to the door, checking for spies, before she let her eyes float to him. He was the first man since Emelia's birth that she would be saying this to, and had a hope and feeling that he would be her last.

These words didn't mean just I have feelings for you, these meant here, take my heart and hold it in your hand, I trust you with it and I give you my all. She took a matter of one second before finally finishing her sentence.

"I love you."

For Joe, it was a moment he had been waiting for his entire life. No one in this way had ever told him this before, and he knew then and there that the last twenty seven years were worth the wait. He also knew then and there that no matter what, he would keep Dianne safe, hold her in the night until the sun rose in the morning and even after that, protect her with every piece of his being and risk anything to be with her, because she was Dianne, she loved him and he loved her too, more than anything.

His mouth curled into a smile, they kissed again, short but sweet, quick but full of passion, before pulling away, a massive grin on his face.

"I love you too."

She smiled, wrapping two arms around his waist and tucking her head under his chin, his loving scent ringing bells, more and more in her memory with every moment with no intention of leaving, feeling his chin come to rest over her slightly frizzy hair, his two arms coming around her back. He smiled too, trying to not let his happy tears escape. He kissed the top of her head, an incredible happiness coming over his being, over both of them before their heads became unstacked, her chin lifted for her face to meet his, which mirrored her exact smile. His hand came to rest on the side oh her jaw, one of his fingers tracing under her chin, like drawing a line towards him.

He couldn't quite believe his luck. This amazing, talented, gorgeous Australian specimen loved him, and he loved her back.

She reached up to wipe away one of his tears that he had tried to not show, not wanting to get too emotional, feeling goosebumps at the fact that this handsome, humorous, kind hearted boy from the West Country loved her, and she loved him back.

They could hear everyone leaving, heading home after a long day of dancing, knowing that this monumental moment in their relationship couldn't last forever, and time was passing around them.

"We should probably head home, text me when you get back?"

"Definitely, what time is it anyway? I'm shattered." He reached into his pocket, pulling out his phone and reading the time on screen.