Chapter fourteen

Joe and Dianne had decided to end rehearsal a fair bit earlier, this way they would have more time for their little evening together. Dianne was now collecting Emelia from school while Joe, being the British person he is, was having a cup of tea with his roommate, Byron.

"So Di and Emelia are coming over then, that should be nice." Byron took another sip of his tea, scorching hot.

Joe sat back, smiling to himself. "Yeah, we ended rehearsal a little earlier today, kind of relieved though. My feet are aching."

"You'll find that with dancing. Not that I have, but I presume it really takes it out of you. Am I right in saying that?" Joe nodded, his face emphasising his point. Soon enough, there was a knock at the door. This was it.

"This is it. Here goes." Byron patted Joe on the shoulder before he got up, going to greet his more-than-a-dance partner. Meanwhile on the other side of the door, Dianne was braiding Emelia's hair, which to her surprise had came out.

"I would like you on your best behaviour please. No mischief." Dianne gave the 'eyes on you' gesture to the child that smiled up at her innocently with her big blue eyes.

"No mischief." Dianne nodded, the door soon opening to Joe, Byron on the sofa that seemed humongous compared to Emelia. "Hey Joe." The two embraced quickly before Dianne introduced Emelia.

"Joseph, this is Emelia, Emelia, this is Joe, my dance partner." She winked at Joe while doing this, not wanting to tell Emelia just yet. Joe nodded softly before looking down at the very excitable blonde girl.

"Hello Emelia. How was school?" That was what came to mind, him not realising how unbelievably heartwarming this was for Dianne, who was holding her gasped breath unintentionally. Emelia beamed.

"Good. We learnt about the kings and queens, and how they all have the same names. The queen is called Elizabeth, we learnt all about her." Joe loved how Emelia seemed so excited about her school work, clearly interested in history. Joe found this really delightful, liking history himself.

"That's cool. My sister's middle name is Elizabeth. Do you guys want to come in?" Joe chuckled, realising that they were stood in the doorway still. They went in, Joe locking the door behind them. "Girls, this is Byron, or Byronnnn." Emelia laughed at this, he clearly had the same effect on both of them, bringing out the same laugh, the same sweet laugh.

Byron came over, giving Emelia a little high five. "Hey Emelia, I'm Byron."

"Hello Byron. You're very tall, much taller than mama and Joe." She was very observant. Joe and Dianne both scowled whereas Byron just laughed.

"I am, twice Joe's height." Joe hit his roommate once, heading into the kitchen. Meanwhile Byron's phone pinged, a text coming through explaining that Emily was free if he wanted to stay over, last minute.

"Oh, looks like I won't be seeing you till tomorrow Bru, Em." Joe nodded. As he boiled the kettle, he signalled Dianne over, Emelia was too busy in awe of the sofa.

"Di, do you guys want to stay over, I don't mind." She didn't really think twice, for it may have been one of the most wonderful ideas she had ever heard. She nodded.

"Yeah, but are you sure? She's very hyper." Joe chuckled.

"I think we will be alright. There's always the technique of hot chocolate, used to work on me every time." Dianne gave a murmur of approval, leaning her head on his shoulder a little.

"I haven't tried that yet, maybe we can test it out. I'll have to go and get a few things back home though, unless you have an aged six to seven night dress?"