Day 3: Exes & Embarassment

L a n e :

I put on my suit, smiling at my reflection before I left the room.

Dawn was in the kitchen, sitting on a stool with the baby on her lap as she ate a bowl of cereal. She turned to me and her expression changed to one of surprise.

"Wow." She said, with her mouth full. "You look good in a suit."

I chuckled, "I guess you could say...it suits me."

She looked up at me unamused, trying to glare, but I could see a smile tugging at the corners of her lips.

"Come on, let it out." I teased.

She didn't say anything and just continued looking at me, but by the end of our staring match, there was a smile stretched across her lips.

"Just get a job." She laughed, pushing a plate with a sandwich towards me. "Here."

I picked up the sandwich and took a big bite it, moaning. I don't think I've ever had a sandwich better than the ones that she made.

"Stop moaning in front of the baby." She said, putting her hands over its ears.

"Right, we'll save that for the bedroom." I said, winking at her.

She sighed, and shook her head in dismay, but she had a smile on her face.

I walked over and gave her a kiss on the cheek, not waiting for her reaction before I left the house.

I continued eating the sandwich as I walked to the bus stop, smiling with every bite.

                           *     -     *     -     *

I had taken the bus to my house so I could get my car and drive myself to the company as well as not have to use the bus for the whole two weeks.

I walked up to the top floor of Warner's and there were people from my class scattered everywhere nervously, waiting for the 'job interviews'.

A lady wearing grey slacks with a white button up shirt who looked to be in her late twenties came out from a room and everybody got quiet. She looked very professional and important and she commanded the attention of the room just by her presence.

"Take a seat everybody." She said, walking over to the front of the room.

Everybody say down and gave her their full attention.

"Hello everybody, my name is Lauren Warner, CEO of Warner's Development Inc. and I am very glad to see so many of you here today, especially on a Saturday. I trust you're all here for a job interview and ready to work hard?"

Nervous murmurs of affirmation sounded throughout the room.

She chuckled. "Okay, so since all of you came today, there are many job openings from secretaries to CEO, and you will all have to make a pitch for the job you want. As you can see, there are different sections around the room, and if you would like a certain job then you will go to that section and sign the clipboard and sit in the waiting area for your interview. Some jobs have more spots than others, but trust that you will all get something of value unlike those that will show up on Monday."

Shit.

I'm not good at this kind of thing.

If my best friend Janey was here she'd probably know exactly what to say to get any job of her choice.