Day 7: Hands & Husbands

L a n e :

"No, I can't-I can't hear you!"

I rolled over in bed, trying to figure out what was happening and why Dawn sounded do frantic.

"Where are you? I know you're not at your house, the network is really bad." Her voice came from the bathroom, and she whispered probably so that I wouldn't hear her, but her voice was all I could focus on.

I got out of bed, slowly walking towards the bathroom door which was left slightly ajar.

"No-wait, Daryll can you please reply to my texts, or tell me where you are? I'm really worried."

I stood behind the door, contemplating whether or not I should go inside and see if everything was okay. I didn't get to decide though, because the door opened and Dawn stood in front of me, her eyes puffy as she tried to wipe them so that I wouldn't see her tears.

She looked distraught to a state that I had never encountered before, her hair was going in every direction and her eyes were red and swollen, she didn't look like Dawn Caparelli.

Seeing her in this state made me want to wrap my arms around her and hold her close to me so she could know that somebody's there for her.

She's not that kind of girl though, she doesn't need somebody to hold her, and while I would love to, it's also one of the things that I really like about her.

"What are you doing?" She asked, pushing past me.

I tried to play it off so that it wouldn't look like I was eavesdropping on her conversation, but I'm pretty sure she could tell.

"I...I just...woke up..."

She rolled her eyes, wiping them again as she opened the door, walking out of the room. "Well the bathroom's free, knock yourself out.

I went into the bathroom and washed my face quickly before leaving the room to join Dawn out in the kitchen.

She was getting out bowls and spoons when I joined her. I grabbed the Frosties, putting them on the counter with some milk and we both poured ourselves bowls, not saying anything.

I tried to eat and enjoy my favorite cereal, but I could barely get a bite down as I sat next to Dawn who couldn't even touch her food.

I turned to her, smiling. "Not in the mood for cereal?" I asked, trying to cheer her up.

She shook her head, giving me a small smile. "Nah, I'm just not very hungry in general. Thanks though, the cereal looks top notch."

She chuckled, wiping her face again as she got up, taking her bowl to the sink.

I wanted her to tell me what was going on so I could try to help, but it was clear that she wasn't in the mindset to talk about whatever exactly was happening, so I didn't ask. As hard as it was, I knew I had to back off if I ever wanted her to come to me.

"I'm gonna go get Emily and myself ready." She said, going to the bedroom and leaving me with my full bowl of soggy cereal.

                           *     -     *     -     *

We walked into our office in Warner's to find Tiffany sitting at her desk, reading through some papers.

She looked up at us and smiled at me, turning to Dawn. "Hey Dawn."