Day 4: Recycling & Roller Rinks

• Dedicated to The 80s

                                  D a w n :

I woke up to the sound of crying.

No, wailing actually. It sounded automated and it would not stop.

I groaned, "Lane?"

"Yeah?" He croaked.

"What the fuck is going on?"

"How can you curse so early in the morning?" He groaned.

"It's really not that hard if you put your mind to it."

I heard him chuckle.

I smiled, but my mind was still jumbled from being awake so early.

"No, but seriously, what's going on?" I asked.

"I...I think it's...the baby?"

Are you fucking kidding me right now?

I heard a whimper escape my throat.

"Are you crying?" He asked.

"I'm so fucking tired." I said, pulling the pillow over my ears, but it didn't help. I could still hear the doll crying.

Being a parent is still hard even when it's not a real baby.

"Ugh!" I threw the pillow on the floor, rolling over to face Lane.

He rolled over from his side too, facing me.

"You look like shit." I mused, a small smile tugging on my lips.

He made a face, fanning the air in front of his nose. "Ew, morning breath." He said.

I held my nose. "You too, ugh." I rolled over, getting out of the bed. "I'm gonna go brush my teeth, it's your turn to handle that baby."

He rolled his eyes, getting out of bed and scratching his belly that was conveniently exposed since he refused to sleep in a shirt.

"You don't even look that tired." He said.

"Yeah, I've done this a lot." I said.

I went into the bathroom, closing the door, which I could still hear that baby through. After about a minute, the crying stopped and I finished getting ready, leaving the bathroom.

Lane was now laying on the bed with the baby next to him. He looked over to me, smiling.

"What?" I asked, now smiling as well.

"The baby was hungry." He said, "Probably still is."

"So?" I asked, picking up a shirt from my dresser.

"Aren't you gonna breastfeed him?" He asked.

I raised an eyebrow at him. "Lane, 'he's' a fucking doll."

Lane's jaw dropped and he grabbed the baby, covering its ears. "Not in front of the baby!" He said.

We stared at each other for a minute, before smiles broke out on both our faces and caused us to both burst out into laughter.

"You're so weird." I said, chuckling.

He winked at me, "Just protecting the baby." He said, getting up to go to the bathroom. "If I don't, next thing you'll be telling him he's adopted."

He entered the bathroom, but didn't close the door and I could see him brushing his teeth in the sink.

"Hey, how did you even get the baby to stop crying anyway?" I asked, putting on a skirt.