Day 6: Food & Friends

D a w n :

I woke up to the smell of waffles coming from outside the room, I smiled, rolling over to wake up Lane.

"Lane, what's going-"

I stopped talking when I saw that his side of the bed was just a mess of covers.

I got up, rubbing my eyes as I left the room.

"Lane?" I called, walking to the kitchen.

"Hey Dawn." He smiled at me, walking to the counter with a plate of waffles that looked delicious. Either a strawberry or a blueberry was in each hole, and there was syrup dripping off the side.

It's crazy how I keep falling in love with food every day.

I sat on the counter, smiling up at Lane.

"What's all this for?" I asked.

"You of course." He said, taking off his 'raisin the roof' apron, which unsurprisingly had a bunch of clubbing raisins on it.

I laughed, grabbing a fork and knife. "Yes, but why did you decide to do this for me?"

He shrugged, walking back over to the stove to clean up the mess. "I just wanted to." He brought the dishes to the sink. "Besides, I was already awake, I might as well have been doing something productive."

"Couldn't sleep?"

He sighed. "Nope."

I chuckled, taking a bite of the waffle, which turned out to be absolutely delicious, and I'm pretty sure I moaned as I was eating it.

Lane laughed at my reaction, grabbing the other plate of waffles as he sat down across from me at the counter, smiling.

"You know, I think this relationship might really work." I said.

"Only for my cooking?" He asked, faking hurt.

I nodded, "Yeah and as long as I don't wake up in ten years to find you a couch potato whose only social interactions are through the two minutes a day he spends on the phone ordering Chinese food."

Lane thought about that for a second. "Yeah...I'm not gonna make any promises, you never know."

I laughed, hitting his arm lightly, "Oh shut up."

He laughed along with me, taking a big bite of his own waffle.

"Shit." He said with his mouth full and eyes wide.

"What?" I asked.

"I'm so talented." He said, taking another bite and marveling at his cooking.

I rolled my eyes. "And humble."

He gave me a big smile. "And honest."            

I rolled my eyes at him again, sighing. "So what's the plan for today then?"

He shrugged, taking another bite. "It's Tuesday." He said with his mouth full. "That means work again."

I nodded. "Yeah I guess...I would enjoy it more if I knew that Tiffany wasn't gonna be there dreaming about her legs around your head."

Lane raised an eyebrow at me. "Oh?"

"What?" I asked.

He smiled at himself as if there were a joke I didn't understand. "Oh, oh nothing." He said, stifling his laughter.