Chapter 18: Do not peek inside the scrolls

~Vega's PoV~

In the next days, the day before the exam end, we were sitting around a campfire eating fish, talking about the scrolls and our possibilities to finish the exam for good. At the end of the conversation, Sasuke left to get some water. Naruto then picked the earth scroll and told us that we don't have an enemy to fight so he took out other scrolls from his bag.

"Naruto, you know that this won't work" I told him.

"Vega's right and even if you did such a thing, you don't know what's written on the inside! If the proctor looked inside, you will be discovered right away! Idiot!" Sakura scolded him.

"B-but... what if we could predict the content?" He said as he showed us the earth scroll.

"You! Have you forgotten even the rules, you idiot? We were told not to look inside the scrolls until arriving at the tower, right?" She scolded again, punching Naruto on his head.

"But, at this rate, we'll be in a hot spot, right?" Naruto said anime crying.

"I still don't want to open them, it might be dangerous" I said.

"But Vega, it's the only way" Naruto whined.

"Ugh, fine"

At Naruto's whining I surrendered, and I saw that he was really tense. When he was on the verge of opening the scroll someone caught his hand and stopped him from doing so.

"Thanks" I thanked, noticing that the person who stopped Naruto was Kabuto.

Ugh, him...

"You'd best not do it"

~Very small time skip~

Sasuke just came back and was scolding us.

"That was close"

"W-we're sorry" Sakura excused.

"Those who ignored the rules are forced into the situation of having to retire" Kabuto explained us.

After a short talk, he then turned away to leave us, until Sasuke asked Kabuto to fight him. After another short talk about ninjas, we ended up teaming up and moving on to go to the tower.

While we were heading there, we talked about settling traps, how others think that too and about collectors. They basically gather extra scrolls for when enemies approach them and stuff.

~Time skip~

When the tower came into view, it was night already. Naruto striked a really huge centipede. Me and Sakura were disgusted and Sasuke was as always impassible.

"Naruto, I'd like to avoid inadvertent sounds and careless actions from here on" Kabuto told Naruto. "As long as time allows, we should go slowly while remaining hidden"

"Yeah"

"Okay"

"Sure"

"Hai!"

We started heading towards the tower until Naruto suddenly stepped on a 'throwing kunai trap'. Kabuto rushed and jumped on Naruto to protect him, luckily he used the substitution jutsu.

We continued to walk till Sakura falling on her knees from exhaustion.

"For crying out loud, how far have we walked? The tower hasn't gotten a bit closer"

"It seems that we're already within the enthusiastic welcome. Take a look at that" Kabuto said pointing the giant centipede.

A genjutsu, huh?

"What on earth is going on?"

"No way!"

"Is it genjutsu...?" Sasuke asked (probably rhetorically).

"Yeah it is" I replied.

"We're being watched..." Sasuke said.

"Probably. They intend to wear down our physical strenght and catch us unprepared when we're bone tired" Kabuto explained.

Soon multiple copies of a rain ninja appeared and started coming towards us. One of them tried to mock us so Naruto went to punch it. His punch, however destroyed it but it was somewhat slimy. Another clone appeared from the half hole made by Naruto's punch and threw a kunai at him, only to get his hand destroyed by Sasuke's shurikens. The copy then attacked Sasuke but he couldn't move for some reason and Kabuto pulled him down, getting injured instead.

"Is it clone jutsu or genjutsu? Which one?" Naruto asked concerned.

"It's an enemy genjutsu" Sasuke said, panting.

"B-but Kabuto's wound is the real thing" Sakura said confused.

"No, it's as Sasuke says. Probably the enemy is hiding somewhere... coordinating their attack with the movements of the 'genjutsu shinobis' and attacking from a different location, pretending as if those genjutsu shinobis are attacking" Kabuto explained.

That makes sense.

Soon Naruto started making clones and told us to hide. He had a plan. Basically we hide and he makes his clones fight until the real ninjas shows up. It actually worked.

Great Naruto!

The rain ninjas came out from their hidings and Naruto punched them and as they got up they made fog clones appear. Naruto went to punch one by one to find the real ones.

Then they appeared from under the ground and went to attack Kabuto. Something distracted them and Naruto kicked them in their faces.

"Great Naruto!" I told him.

"It was nothing, hehe" he laughed, grinning.

He went to search for the scroll and he found a heaven one, good. Then we headed for the tower and when we got here we said bye to Kabuto that entered the door next to ours.

We entered to see an empty room with an 'inscription' attached to the wall in front of us. Then I read the inscription.

"If heaven does not exist, enrich your knowledge and prepare for the chance. If earth does not exist, run the fields in search of an advantage. Open the series of heaven and earth and the perilous way shall be redressed... this is namely the secret of the one that guides..."

We noticed that a word is missing.

"I guess it's time to open the scrolls"

~~~

Hey everyone! Thanks for reading this chapter! If you liked it, don't forget to follow, vote and comment, I'd really appreciate it! This being said, see you in the next chapter, cheers,

UpriseDragon