Guilt and Remorse

How did I let them get to me! I have been taken like Tails has! The Resistance is all I can remember... Where is Sonic, where are my friends? All I have are the bruises on my back!

Knuckles stuttered to think about what was gonna happen to Sonic. Knuckles looked around this place... He couldn't call it home. The flow of time was deadly, it could erase anyone and anything in time... Knuckles stuttered to think of the possibilities, as he could be erased too, the flow of time was something to not be messed with. He wanted to shout, but.. for some reason, his mouth felt like multiple needles. It stung like he was being thrown multiple times. Tails looked at him.

"Knuckles... get used to the sandpaper feeling! We gotta get outta here and help Sonic!" Tails said between stutters...

Knuckles couldn't agree more with that saying, but something was itching the red-headed echidna. The fox cub deserved an apology more than anything from him..

"Tails... I'm sorry."

The young fox cub turned to him with surprise. "What?" He asked, "I'm sorry..." Knuckles answered in all seriousness... "Dude, you didn't do anything!" Tails yelped in Knuckles' defense. "Yes I did!" Knuckles yelled out, with tears welling in his hot-red eyes. "This is all my fault!" Knuckles yelled, now starting to cry. "Knuckles, please..." Tails said, feeling bad for the normally-strong echidna..

"I-I couldn't s-save you!" Knuckles said in quivering sobs. "And now I got us both trapped! I should've reacted to the Devil the second he t-tried to t-take y-you, and now Sonic is w-wandering helplessly!" "Knuckles... look..." Tails said, "I pressured you into thinking you were the person who was suppose to protect all of us!" "Yeah, b-but-" Knuckles started.

"You don't need to be s-sorry for anything!"

"I don't?" Knuckles asked, his breath easing. The echidna still felt guilt, "Knuckles, it wasn't your fault! You didn't do anything wrong!!" Tails yelped. Knuckles cowered in shame, now feeling stupid, Tails could feel this too. "Knuckles, it's okay to cry," Tails said softly. "It's not like you've broken a law or anything..." . Knuckles whimpered, but eased the tears. He grinned.

"Thanks, Tails. I needed that.." Knuckles said, with full candor. "No problem buddy, but now we gotta help Sonic somehow!" Tails explained. "Okay... let's go.." Knuckles said, his mind filling with thoughts.

***

Sonic had gone a full 200 miles (3 laps around all 3 islands he'd been too), looking for Cuphead or his friends along the way. Sonic felt hopeless, he had gone in so many circles that the hedgehog was starting to... sweat?

Sonic looked at this water running down his face. "I-i.." Sonic said, in a tired voice. He didn't know what this watery substance was... It looked odd, but.. he assumed it water. Sonic knew he had to continue his journey. I will... find you Sonic thought, exhausted.

Sonic finally collapsed on the ground. He felt the scar on his heels burn. Sonic gasped for air. Sonic took a few cold and hard breaths... He realized he was freaked out, he realized he had such bad luck... He lost Tails, then Grim, Weepy, then Knuckles, and lastly, he left Cuphead and Mugman out of anger. Sonic felt terrible. How far am I willing to go? Sonic asked himself silently, due to the fact he barely had any lung power to do it. He said one word before passing out into the abyss of darkness.

"Tails..."

****

Cuphead and Mugman looked at each other, and felt a vibe. "Sonic!" They both yelled, and they started running to the jungle. Their brown boots squeaked as they ran to the jungle. "Sonic, we're coming! Don't worry!" Cuphead yelled.