Chapter Three

Once Naomi was properly dressed and had said her goodbyes to her father and Orin, she waited outside the family shop, full of impatient zeal. Now that the time to get festive had arrived, she was getting excited. She wasn't the only one as the streets were already decorated in Unity Festival decorations. All up and down the street, the other shops had outfitted their doors and windows with banners, garlands, and strings of lights. The people buzzing by were also decked out in royal colors just like Naomi.

At last, Jessica stepped outside of her father's store, Tech City, and waved cheerfully at Naomi. She waved back but also caught Jessica's mom staring at her through the shop window. Mrs. Davis's expression was one of horror and suspicion as her daughter dared to make contact with an untouchable. Feeling obligated, Naomi waved at Mrs. Davis as well. The only response she got was a scowl as Mrs. Davis hurriedly dashed away from the window. Jessica gave her a sheepish shrug.

"Ignore her. She's just--"

"Terrified you'll catch the curse from me," Naomi said grimly.

"We both know there's no curse." Jessica insisted but she did take a minuscule step back from Naomi. She probably didn't want Naomi to notice, but she did. She always did. However, she ignored it by changing the subject.

"So which way is this pub?"

Appreciating her deviation, Jessica practically skipped as she headed down the block.

"It's only a few blocks away, on McCarthy Street. You've never been?"

"Well, no. I mean, we are underage. How are we getting around that by the way?"

"This place never asks for I.D. Which is probably why they've been shut down before,

but they've reopened with this Unity Party. It's going to be packed."

Naomi's inner introvert recoiled at the very thought, but she followed Jessica anyway.

When they reached the pub, it was bustling with activity. The small bar was stuffy with the amount of body heat crammed into the space, but everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves as they talked and laughed joyfully.

"Oh, I think I see Danielle!" Jessica mentioned another person Naomi couldn't remember. Either way, she followed her neighbor through the crowd until they arrived at a booth jammed with her classmates.

Who all looked at her in shocked revulsion.

"Um...hi." Naomi gave another meek wave.

"Hey guys, I invited Naomi to come along. I'm sure she'll be a lot of fun so scoot over," Jessica said in a rather authoritative tone. Yet, as her classmates reluctantly did the seating shuffle, Naomi grew restless.

"It's okay. I can stand," she said, desperately not wanting to become more of an inconvenience.

"No way!" Jessica insisted.

"It's okay. Did you want anything to drink? I can go grab it?" she asked.

"Sure. A Bloody Ale, if you don't mind."

Gods, Jessica was trying to get trashed with a drink like that! Bloody Ales held every liquor known to Tyrra, including amber absinthe that gave the drink its name. Naomi chose not to comment on it though.

"Great," Naomi said before heading to the bar.

Knowing she had a task to focus on helped ease her nerves. Naomi repeated the orders over again in her head as she squeezed into a small space at the bar that hadn't been overtaken yet. Despite Jessica's reassurance, she tried to look properly of age when the bartender finally reached her.