Chapter Thirty-Nine

It was a strange feeling. Waking up, feeling half-dead. As Naomi opened her eyes, everything felt groggy and surreal. The only thing orienting her in the room was Lark's concerned face.

"Lark?" she asked unsurely as if to confirm what she was seeing.

"Naomi! Thank goodness, you're alive!"

"I hope so. What happened?" Naomi asked as she took in the rough, scratchy bedsheets and sterile, white walls.

"Where's the boat?" Naomi asked groggily. "Grove and the apples, what happened to—"

"It's okay, Naomi. You're here at Legacy, with me."

"I can see that, but...how? The last thing I remember is..."

"Having your boat attacked by sprites, and then dropping dead after eating a poison apple?  Yeah, according to Quinn, you were OUT cold. When they went to diagnose what was wrong with you at the seaside hospital, apparently Malcolm freaked the hell out. Saying the place was unsanitary and he wanted you checked out by his personal physician. He had you flown back here on the royal jet."

"That sounds like him," Naomi said. "Overkill."

"If I hadn't of taken those steps, you could have BEEN killed," Malcolm said, as he awkwardly stepped in and stood at the foot of her bed. He turned to Lark. "Could you give us a minute?"

"No way, Your Highness," Lark said. "Every time she's around you, she ends up in danger."

"No, it's okay, Lark," Naomi said. "I can handle it."

Her roommate anxiously looked back and forth between the prince and Naomi.

"Okay...if you're sure," she said. As she passed by Malcolm, she wasn't afraid to give him a threatening glare. Pretty bold for someone who had weeks ago been terrified of badmouthing the prince.

When she was gone, Naomi faced him.

"Now, what's all this about a poison apple?"

Malcolm sighed and almost sat at the corner of her bed, but then clearly thought better of it. "They found rayoxine in your system."

"Dear Dija..." Naomi faltered.

Rayoxine was a deadly substance, a sap found in Silva's poisonous pollen trees. It was mostly sold on the black market, the effects of which she wouldn't wish on her worst enemy. Along with the ones she had experienced, it could also cause extreme nausea and seizures. Without a doubt, if she'd taken a bigger bite of that apple, she might have died.

"How do you think that could have gotten in there?" Malcolm asked, encouraging her detective skills.

"You mean someone intentionally tried to sabotage us? To even kill us?"

"It's possible. When we finally got you checked out and figured out what happened...basically there's an investigation underway. I don't know what they'll find, though."

"Your father must be livid."

"Yes. He wants to pull us out of the competition, but I wouldn't let him." Malcolm's chest puffed out with pride. Naomi could tell he was pleased to have stood up to his father.

"What if I don't want to compete anymore? Malcolm, your father is right. Someone tried to murder you. It's my job to prevent that. Not to mention, you should have some sense of self-preservation of your own."

"No! We're not going to run away from some cowards who won't face us head-on. Besides, how do you know they were after me?"

"Well, it was our turn, right? And out of everyone on that boat, you're the most valuable. I'm sure you're the one they were after. My life isn't worth a damn compared to yours. Compared to a prince."