Chapter Forty-Seven

"Careful." King Drewell lingered over the physician examining Malcolm. Queen Fiona looked equally attentive as she hovered at the side of the bed.

Naomi traded amused looks with Quinn. All the man had done was raise Malcolm's arm to put on the blood monitor band, to detect any lasting poison, but the parents studied every movement. She couldn't blame them. Their son had come back from the dead.

Right in front of Naomi's eyes.

She couldn't be more elated. Malcolm, in all his irritating, prideful, and snobbish glory...was back.

The doctor hummed approvingly as he finished going over Malcolm's vitals.

"Everything looks great. Jade Lake was just the trick. Your kidnapper did you a service dropping you in there," he said.

It had been an ironic turn of fate. The algae in the lake had been soaking up toxins for months now. Ones that interacted with it strangely. The natural health of the algae mixed with the city's pollutants created a chemical reaction: healing properties. From floating in the dank lake's undergrowth, the algae had taken Malcolm's place, absorbing the toxins within his body into their own ecosystem.

While Malcolm was treated, Nurse Alice brought over a tray of food—a medley of mushy looking meatloaf, mashed potatoes, and peas. The queen took one look at it, one sniff, and pushed it aside.

"Dear deity, that looks terrible. My son is not eating that." Queen Fiona waved her away.

"Don't worry, honey," King Drewell comforted her. "I'll have them send something from the castle immediately."

"Mother, Father..." Malcolm sighed, darting glances from them to Naomi and Quinn.

"Oh right. I can't thank you two enough," the king went on to acknowledge them, oblivious to the real meaning behind Malcolm's hint.

"Naomi, you didn't deserve what I said earlier. After what you did, I know you are the one who should look after Malcolm."

"Yes, thank you, Naomi, for saving my son's life," the queen said. This time there was no iota of sarcasm or condescension in the woman's tone. She was truly grateful.

"You're welcome, Your Highness, Your Majesty." Naomi glowed with pride.

"And don't worry. Figgis and Sam's jobs are safe. Malcolm's too endeared to them as it is," King Drewell added.

Malcolm cleared his throat, ready to complain, but Quinn interrupted.

"I'm sorry I wasn't able to catch Soraya," he said.

It wasn't from lack of trying.

Quinn had come back to Legacy, covered in cuts and bruises. Soraya had put up an even bigger fight upon realizing she wasn't going to escape easily. According to Quinn, the two had battled, airborne, until Soraya hopped onto a speeding car, taking advantage of Quinn being distracted with one of his injuries. After that, no matter where he searched on the streets, she'd disappeared into the city mayhem. Even worse, Frank had also managed to get away in the midst of the fight. Naomi suspected he'd been playing dead until she and Quinn took off after Soraya. Then, he'd been able to sneak off into the night like the rat he was. King Drewell had brought his partner, Teddy, in for questioning but he steadfastly insisted he was innocent.

"Yes, it would have been good to get intel from them," the king said. The steely glint in his eye had Naomi thinking, despite his refusals, Teddy was going to be locked up for quite a while. 

When they'd returned with Malcolm, the king had been overjoyed—a distraught parent whose prodigal son had returned. Then he and Naomi traded stories. She told him all Soraya had done and said. He explained how the strange blue mist had seeped into the room through the vents and had them incapacitated before they could react. Meanwhile, Soraya had tricked the doctor and nurse, locking them in the infirmary's supply closet.