Chapter Seventeen

"You're kidding me," Lark said.

"I wish," Naomi said as she made her way through the food service line.

She was enjoying her continued break from Malcolm by describing her day to Lark in the lunch room. She encountered minor stares, but after her talk with Quinn, she no longer cared...much.

"You set another student on fire?" Lark repeated, obviously shocked.

Naomi simultaneously elbowed and shushed her.

"It wasn't intentional. He was after me, so I defended myself."

"Don't worry. I believe you."

Lark's reassurance didn't stop Roland from blocking their path as they tried to find a place to sit.

"She cheated." He crossed his arms.

Naomi noticed he was sharing a table with Alicia, Gia, and Malcolm. Not surprising. Of course, he'd have a delightful set of friends. There were another boy and girl present at the table, but Naomi didn't know them yet. They appeared to be fraternal twins from their similar looks of chestnut hair and inquisitive, ice-blue eyes. At the very least, they were probably related.

"Cheated, no. Played dirty, perhaps. But either way, you deserved it." Naomi made to step around Roland, but Alicia stopped her in her tracks.

"You know, Scales, it seems like you didn't understand our conversation this morning."

A gasp ran through the growing crowd at Alicia's jab. At the ancient slur that set Naomi's body aflame.

Scales.

Only the most detested, despicable dragon shifters were called by that name.

"That's it," Naomi hissed, slamming her tray on the table. Her eyes must have transformed into the glowing red of her inner dragon because Alicia did back away. Lark raised her arm, trying to block Naomi's path.

"Don't do it, Naomi. It's not worth it."

"That's right. Defend your girlfriend. To be honest, I'm relieved you've managed to find one," Alicia mocked.

"You know what, Alicia? I'm getting real tired of you. Unless you want to end up humiliated like your friend Roland, I suggest you mind your own business," Naomi said, her voice low, dark. Damning.

"Are you threatening me?" Alicia attempted the same tone, but her voice shook.

"No, I'm saying you can't hide behind your fake relationship with the prince forever. Once you realize you've bought into his sham, you'll have no one left to hate but yourself. Then let's see how good you are at slinging around petty insults."

Feverish murmurs from the audience erupted, surrounding Naomi and Alicia in the heat of their rising conflict. Yet neither girl got the chance to let out an actual battle cry. Malcolm leaped from his chair, Figgis quickly following him.

"That's enough!" he shouted. A command from royalty ended any fight, including its eager spectators.

"Yes, maybe you should take a walk, Cliffton," Figgis warned Naomi.

"No. She's coming with me." With that command, Malcolm pulled Naomi out of the cafeteria. She possibly could have fought him on his manhandling, but she didn't see the point. They were going to have it out, one way or another.

When they were through the cafeteria doors, Malcolm dropped her arm, paced for several moments, then turned to her, letting out an exhausted breath.

"What the hell is wrong with you?"