Chapter Sixteen

When Naomi reached her next class, realizing it was in the huge gymnasium, her stomach plummeted. Her day was not about to get better, with or without Alicia. This new class was Defensive Magic. It was a class typically designed for students on the Warrior track—those who wanted to go into the army. A course where she would be forced to change at will, to perform the different battle moves. Sure, she wouldn't have to go into full dragon mode, but spreading her wings, sprouting a tail, fire-breathing—any of these acts would be expected during training.

No, no, no. She couldn't do this.

Naomi whirled around to race for the door, but then she came face-to-face with him.

It was Quinn.

Standing in the entryway, blocking her path.

"Whoa, where are you off to?"

"Um...I..."

"The correct answer is to go change." Quinn snapped his fingers matter-of-factly.

"You're the new girl, right? You probably forgot to bring some workout clothes." He studied her up and down, not lecherously, but his eyes on her body made Naomi blush. She wrapped her arms around her stomach.

"I'm sure we've got spares in the back. Changing room's that way." Quinn placed a guiding hand on her back.

"Why are you telling me what to do? Aren't you a student?" Naomi asked, not moving another inch. She didn't mean to be rude, but she wouldn't let this man lead her into more humiliation, no matter how attractive he was.

"Normally, yes. But as a junior, my course criteria are different. Since I'm on the Warrior track, I get to be a teaching assistant as training for my career. As such, it's my job to make sure everyone's ready for class, so..." Quinn made a second attempt to pull her along, but Naomi resisted.

"There's a mistake. I don't belong in this class."

Quinn grabbed her schedule out of her hand.

"This says otherwise. Do you lie often, Naomi Cliffton?"

"No," Naomi snarled as she snatched the paper back. "But I don't think I should be here."

He snagged her arm, pulling her close.

"If you run, you're letting your fear win. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I get the sense a coward is the last thing you'd ever want to be."

Quinn's words hit home. She pulled away from him, chin up defiantly.

"Okay. Show me the changing room."

Ten minutes later, Naomi was wearing a school gym uniform and waiting in line with the other students. Her knees were shaking, but when she met Quinn's gaze, she stood tall, firm. The head teacher, Coach Scott, studied his students like a lieutenant in front of his troops.

"Okay, cadets," he said, backing up Naomi's initial impression. "We're going to work hard. No slacking like yesterday." The coach threw a pointed look at some of the students. Then his gaze turned to Naomi, his stern expression lessening to slight uncertainty.

"We do have a new student with us today—Naomi Cliffton." He motioned toward her. "Do you have any questions? Should I clarify some of the rules regarding defensive magic?"

"I've had defensive magic classes before, but I..."

"Never actually used defensive magic?" he guessed. Given her circumstances and past, it was an easy summation to make.

She stared down at her feet, nodding silently.

"Then as a refresher: defensive magic is all about using your innate powers to your advantage."