Chapter Eleven

Naomi stared at the cracked ceiling above her bed, reliving yesterday's incident over and over. She'd come home, completely distraught, and refused to give her father any explanations. This morning, she hadn't even gone to school. There was no point. Everyone who hated her already probably hated her even more. Either that or they would run screaming when they saw her walking down the school hallways. Rather than face that, Naomi stayed holed up in her bedroom, hiding from the world—her world, which seemed to be crumbling by the minute.

Her secret was out for her to be ridiculed and feared. She'd potentially turned herself into the king's political plaything. She'd been humiliated and traumatized at Legacy. Worst of all, her mother's memory had been tarnished. To top things off, the whole debacle had ended with Naomi resorting to violence. She'd never hurt anyone in her entire life. Provoked or not, Naomi wasn't acting like herself.

A knock on her door forced Naomi to come back to grim reality. She buried her head in the pillow as if she could block out the sound.

"Papa, I said I'm not hungry. I want to be alone."

"Unfortunately, that's not going to happen, honey. The king's guards are here."

Naomi sat up with a swiftness she hadn't used since fleeing Legacy.

"Tell them we're not here," Naomi insisted.

"I'm afraid it's too late for that. They've already come in."

Groaning, Naomi left her bed and joined her father downstairs. Two guards were sitting at their kitchen table. Naomi had to admit she was upset to see neither one of them were Figgis or Sam. Then again, they were probably with Prince Malcolm. She winced at the memory of how she'd yelled at him. Perhaps Prince Malcolm had sent the guards. He was probably as capable as the king to send a citizen to prison.

Naomi barely listened as the guards explained that the king wanted to talk to them further about the announcement and the incident at Legacy. She ignored her father's perplexed look at the mention of it and avoided his pressing questions.

"Can we go?" Naomi grumbled, holding out her hands to be cuffed.

They didn't cuff her. (Sam would have been disappointed.) They led Naomi and Martin out to their patrol car and traveled to the castle. The experience was disturbingly similar to her previous trip. Although this time, Naomi was much more apathetic as she continued to ignore her father's concerned looks. The guards' presence made it difficult for him to ask her more questions.

When they arrived at the king's waiting room, King Drewell greeted them as if they were old friends.

"Martin, Naomi. Please come in. It's wonderful to see you again."

Naomi held back the urge to say it wasn't. Once they were settled in their seats, the king cut the fake pleasantries and got straight to the point.

"I wanted to talk to you about what happened at Legacy," he said.

"I'm not going."

Martin waved his hand impatiently. "Can someone please tell me what's going on?"

"I failed the test, Papa. And you know what? I'm glad I did." Naomi said, before turning to the king.

"You know exactly why that is," she said. The hint of accusation didn't escape anyone's attention, but the king didn't seem bothered by it. He went on kindly, calmly—as if he was speaking to a wounded animal.

"Naomi, you know I have a great interest in your future and how it ties to mine."

"Ties to your agenda, you mean. You want to make sure I don't embarrass you after we make the announcement."

"Yes, that's true," King Drewell said, without shame. At Naomi and Martin's stunned looks, he shrugged.

"Did you want me to lie? Our alliance will mean a great deal to me and the kingdom, but also for you, Naomi. Your whole life is changing, and you should expect the best from it. With your capabilities, you deserve the best. Legacy can give you that. It can give you the best education in the whole country. You'd be respected, and all kinds of doors would open for you. It's the best thing for you and your image."

"If you want me to protect Malcolm, you'll have to find another way. The woman who runs that school is vile. I will never go back after what she did to me."

"And what exactly did she do?" Martin asked, exasperated from being excluded.

"She tarnished Mama's image. She...showed me things about her. Mocked my love for my mother, although she's been long gone. Even despicable people should respect the dead." Naomi's feelings of betrayal and bitterness almost swept her up again at having to talk about it.

Martin rested a hand on her shoulder. "Then you're right. Maybe you shouldn't go there. Not if that's how they're going to treat you."

"They won't," King Drewell interjected. "I've made sure of that."

"How?" Martin asked.

"Dean Wellington has been harshly reprimanded. While we do offer ethical trials in our entrance exams, hers went too far. She won't be proctoring them anymore. She's under probation, and not allowed to bother you. I did promise her that you would issue an apology for your part in things." The king gave her a knowing look. He had heard about the scratching incident. "Unless you break one of the cardinal rules of the academy, you—hopefully—won't have to interact with her regularly. Although to be honest, you and I have already made plans that I won't allow you to break. You are to shadow Malcolm at that school, no matter who runs it."

Naomi reflected on the king's words. Would the reprimands on Dean Wellington suffice? Was there no other way to assist Malcolm without going back? Granted, she had started to like the place before the test, imagining what it would be like there. Regardless of what she wanted, the king seemed determined to make her go.

"Okay. I won't back out on our deal, King Drewell."

"Good, because I plan on us making the announcement this afternoon," the king said, his tone final.

"This afternoon? I'm not ready!" Naomi said.

"We'll get you ready. Clothes, hair, the statement, everything. All you have to do is show up and do as you're told. That was the agreement. I expect you to be there too, Martin." The king stood up before Naomi or Martin could say anything more. Their meeting was over.

"You are free to explore the castle before it's time to prepare. Once Malcolm comes from Legacy, we'll get started. For now, I'll have a guard show you around. Take in the royal sites," the king said, all laissez-faire.

At his motion, the guard at the door ushered Martin and Naomi out into the hallway.

"Where would you two like to go? I can show you the garden or the grand hall."

"What about the back exit?" Martin grumbled.

"Unfortunately, that one is off-limits," the guard said.

"In that case...garden?" Naomi asked her father, resigned.

"Garden it is," her father said to their companion.

"Wonderful. We've got some beautiful azaleas in bloom..." the guard said as he escorted them.

Naomi gave an inward sigh. It was going to be a long day.

*** Looks like Naomi and her dad are in for a good time. How do you think the announcement will go?