Chapter Fifteen

Naomi was more grateful than ever for Lark as they weaved in and out of the hallways. There was no way she could have made it to her first class, World History, without her new roommate. She was dying to take a seat next to her friend, but her hopes were dashed. Figgis, Sam, and of course, Malcolm, were all present, settled into desks in the middle of the classroom.

"Oh, Naomi, there you are." Figgis waved her over, forcing Naomi to separate from Lark. Lark gave her a supportive wink and went to sit at the head of the class. Naomi made her way toward the triad around Malcolm. He was in the middle, with Figgis and Sam on each side, and...Alicia, sitting in front of him.

"Good morning, Naomi," the prince said, civil enough.

"Good morning, Prince Malcolm." At her mild response, Alicia scoffed. Clearly, she wanted a second round. Figgis, however, was having none of it.

"Alicia, please take one seat further up, so Naomi can be stationed in front of Malcolm."

The auburn beauty's mouth dropped in utter shock. "What?"

"I'm sorry to disappoint you, but as we discussed, Naomi needs to be near Malcolm to do her job."

Alicia started to protest, but Sam cut her down viciously.

"Look, you can still doodle Mrs. Alicia Greenwood on your homework. You'll just be doing it from a different location today. Now scoot."

Appalled, but with no alternative, Alicia followed their orders. Malcolm reached for her hand in some attempt at comfort but she snatched it away and stormed off. Naomi slipped into her vacated spot. Behind her, Malcolm groaned, mumbling something along the lines of "Already."

"Already what?" Naomi asked, swiveling around in her chair.

"Nothing. I can tell things are going to go splendidly."

"Don't get huffy with me because your girlfriend's so clingy."

"I haven't said anything!"

"Your tone—"

"Good grief, make it stop." Malcolm covered his face with his hands, shutting her out.

"Both of you stop, please," Figgis interjected, handing Naomi a sheet of paper. "This is the shift schedule for the week."

Naomi glanced at it, noticing she was booked tightly today. She would be working with Figgis in the morning, and some afternoon classes with Sam. There were several slots blocked off: two for her third and fourth period classes, one for lunch, and another for the school break period. The rest of the schedule looked similar, except for two days in the middle of the week, which were blocked off completely.

"I know it looks intense. But as you can see, you get two days off during the week, and you also have a few of your classes on your own each day. For today's morning shift, you'll be with me and I can show you the ropes. It'll be fun," Figgis said.

"Oh, loads. Figgis is a bucket of joy," Sam teased.

"At least I'll get a break from you," Figgis shot back.

Sam stiffened, but Naomi seemed to be the only one who noticed as Figgis went on with his instructions. When he finished, a sharp whistle directed their attention to the front of the room. Her new teacher, Mr. Fortley, stood at the front, chalk in hand.

"I'd like to pick up where we left off yesterday. The Great War," he began.

Naomi immediately sank down in her chair. This lesson was bound to bring some more accusatory stares her way. You couldn't talk about the Great War without bringing up dragon shifters. She almost wanted to beg the teacher to change the subject.