Chapter Fourteen

Following her escape, Naomi managed to find her room. Well, she stumbled through a few winding hallways first because the damn school was dizzyingly big. Eventually, she discovered her dormitory, located at the end of the third floor, according to the engraving on her key.

Naomi stuck the key into the lock and poked her head in. The room contained two beds with colorful purple comforters. One side of the room had its walls decorated with lively posters of raucous music bands and fashion models. There were two pine desks, and a girl was sitting at one of them. She was humming cheerfully as Naomi closed the door behind her.

The petite girl with long, inky black hair continued to fool around at the desk. Although it was more like a vanity, with a mirror placed on it and makeup containers scattered about. She caught sight of Naomi in her mirror's reflection and let out a squeal. Naomi froze, unsure if the exclamation was one of excitement or panic. When the girl ran to hug her, she assumed it was the former.

"Naomi, right? I'm Lark." The girl bounced with energy, and her warm reception eased Naomi's tension. After her encounter with Alicia, Naomi was worried that the rest of the student body would be the same.

"Yeah, that's me. It's nice to meet you, Lark," Naomi said.

The energetic girl had perfect, unblemished skin. Her complexion was a smooth, sandy beige, enhanced by rosy cheeks and dark eyeliner. She'd embellished the look of her uniform by wearing colorful wristbands and a stylish belt.

"Nice to meet you? That's an understatement. I have a new badass roommate," she said, her warm, brown eyes full of joy.

"Badass?" Naomi repeated quizzically.

"Famous dragon shifter plus wicked prince's bodyguard? If that's not badass, I don't know what is. A simple kitsune like me is not worthy."

Naomi couldn't help smiling. At least someone liked her background. Plus, Lark's enthusiasm was infectious. She dragged Naomi over to the bed on the right. Two uniforms were laid out on it. They were the same ones that Naomi had noticed before—the blue and purple ensemble she'd spotted the students wearing when she'd first come to Legacy.

"This is your bed, and clothes, obviously. If you hurry, we'll have time for breakfast. Then I can show you to your first class and stuff."

"Wow. You're..."

"Annoyingly cheerful? I've been told," Lark said, nothing but pride in her voice.

"By your last roommate? Was it a clash of morning person versus night owl?"

At her joke, Lark's bright smile dimmed. Naomi feared she'd said something terrible unintentionally. But as soon as the flicker of sadness came, it left, leaving Lark's eyes sparkling.

"No way. She moved out, that's all."

It was strange for a roommate to leave one month into the school year, but Naomi didn't dare mention it. She liked Lark's openness toward her and hated to ruin it. Being seen as "a baroness" her whole life, Naomi didn't have many friends. At her old school, people had avoided her because she was powerless. Now, Naomi worried they would avoid her for the opposite reason—being too powerful. Luckily, it wasn't hindering Lark from talking to her.

"Okay. Give me ten minutes, and I'll be ready," Naomi said.

Within those ten minutes, Naomi was outfitted in her new uniform. It was different, but not uncomfortable. Lark had certainly made it look stylish.

With their clothing situation resolved, Naomi trailed after Lark as she guided her to the dining hall. Her new roommate chattered on about which teachers were the least boring and the best shortcuts for when you were running late. Naomi tried to keep up, but now and then, she got thrown off by the different looks she encountered. Ones of curiosity, suspicion, sometimes dislike—although Naomi hadn't spoken to anyone else yet.