Wear Protection

Song: More Than A Feeling by Boston

September 7, 1993

The morning air is crisp and cuts through Eddie's hair, tousling it just slightly. He sighs, grabbing at it and trying to place it down, but to no avail. Beverly simply laughs and glides on past him. Eventually the boy huffs and tries to forget that his hair is probably the worst it's ever looked. Instead he places his own skateboard on the concrete and skates after her.

The two hold hands as they make their way to the park. Eddie and Beverly have been particularly close since his arrival three years ago. There was something about him that drew everyone in. But it especially drew in her. They've been best friends ever since.

Soon the two stumble up to the park to see that they're not the only ones there, per usual. Now there's two boys, most likely their age. One is sat on a curb, a notebook in his hand. He is writing feverishly, paying no mind to the other kid who is practicing an Ollie right in front of him.

Eddie takes a better look now. Cuffed jeans and black sneakers. He wears a simple white tee shirt underneath the colorful, tacky Hawaiian shirt. He can't see the boy perfectly, due to him being turned around. But Eddie can tell he's a brunette with the curliest hair he's ever laid eyes on. Even curlier than his own.

Eddie admires him. Not many people skateboard in this town. In fact, he's never seen anyone other than himself or Beverly. Sometimes their friends would tag along and watch. And sometimes they'd even try it themselves. But that's about it.

"You coming, loser?" Beverly laughs, pushing into Eddie. Soon he's out of his thoughts and focusing on the board below him. He smiles before taking off after her.

Eventually he catches up with her. It wasn't hard. Not because she isn't good, because really she is. But her grind wasn't as good as it could've been, which slowed her process down quite a bit. She huffs and takes out a cigarette, not bothering to offer one to Eddie. He'd say no anyways.

"I swear I'm getting worse. How do you even do it?" She huffs once more before coming to a stop.

Eddie hardly pays her any attention and instead looks to the ground where he tries, and nails, a kickflip. The boy shrugs after completing the move. "I don't know, Bev. It's natural for me. Kind of how the piano is for you."

The girl rolls her eyes. "Oh please, Eddie. You're just about good at everything."

"I can do it, I'm just not a natural." He offers, finally peeking up to get a look at her. Only something more interesting is going on in this background.

That's when Eddie spots the boy from earlier grinding on a nearby pole. Eddie smiles at his technique. Though soon he is tumbling towards the ground with a loud bang. This gains Beverly's attention because soon she's staring right at the fallen boy.

Eddie notices the other boy who is sat to the side rush over. And suddenly he's making his way towards the two as well. He even hears Bev's feet shuffling awkwardly behind him.

When they're close enough, Eddie sees that the boy is none other than Richie Tozier, the drama nerd.

Eddie cautiously approaches the two. He's not sure if it's weird. After all, it's not as if he's ever talked to them before. However, Eddie immediately steps in as soon as Richie begins wiping his wounds with his bare hands.

"Oh my fucking god! Stop. Stop." Eddie waves his arms dramatically, causing Richie to look up.

Finally Eddie gets a better view of the boy. He's seen him around. Hell, he'd even had a couple of classes with the boy. But he's never been able to see him up close like this. And holy shit, Eddie thinks, trashmouth is cute.