Staring Competition

Song: Jump Around by House of Pain

September 8, 1993

It's Monday now. Eddie never did receive that phone call he'd been so desperately waiting for. But he tries not to let it get him down and decides to consume his mind with things that matter much more than stupid boy drama.

Today he decides to wear his favorite outfit. He always feels extra confident in it. Especially since everyone tells him how good it looks on him. He also refused to admit it is to catch Tozier's gaze. But deep down, Eddie knows that's exactly what possessed him to put on this get up.

Beverly will be picking him up any minute now. She always does. It's a tradition of theirs. In fact, they were in that car so often that they started cassette tape and cd shopping together. Tunes such as Killer Queen, Ice Ice baby, and I Will Always Love you often fill the car. Their music taste is wild and a little all over the place. The two of them don't mind, though. They have fun and that's what matters.

Eddie stands in front of the mirror. He takes in what he sees and wonders if this is even good enough. Would anything be good enough? He's not sure why he's so caught up on himself today. Usually confidence seeped through his veins.

He wears a skin tight yellow striped shirt. His shorts were just as short as normal. Though instead of yellow or red or blue, they were simple and black. His shoes were simple as well. High top black chucks. And of course white socks with two black stripes at the top that barely stick out of his sneakers.

Eddie runs a hand through his curled hair and then smoothes out his shorts. He wonders if he should add any last minute accessories. Unfortunately he doesn't have too much time to dwell on this because soon a honk is heard outside his bedroom window. The boy quickly peeks only to see a smiling Beverly sat in the drivers seat of her car. She bobs her head and smiles when she sees him.

Eddie shuffles anxiously while fetching his back pack. He's about to walk out of the door when he remembers something. Quickly he spots the fanny pack and wraps it around his thin waist. Eddie scrummages through the pack while rushing down the hallway. He wants to make sure he's grabbed everything. Germ-x, cherry cola lip balm, inhaler, rubbing alcohol, band aids, cotton swabs, and my assortment of pills.

Finally Eddie is out of the house and into Beverly's car. She smiles before hitting play and turning up the volume. Jump Around immediately fills the car and a laugh escapes Eddie's lips as he watches Beverly scream the lyrics. Suddenly he's not so afraid of what the days holds for him. Beverly always knows how to put a smile on his face. It's almost like she senses his moodiness a mile away.

Soon enough the two are walking through the school doors, hand in hand. Greta is waiting for them at Eddie's locker. Her hair is curled and pulled half up with a maroon scrunchie. Her lips are as pink as the bubblegum hanging from them. She pops the bubble with her teeth and stands straight when her eyes catch sight of the two.

"Hey Greta." Eddie greets politely before grabbing his math book out of his locker. He has trig this hour.

She nods her head as an acknowledgement. "Cheer tryouts are soon."

Beverly perks up at this. She and Greta automatically made the team due to making it every year prior. They also happen to be cheer captains.

"And?" Beverly shrugs, obviously confused.

"And?" Greta drones on. "I've seen you," she directs her attention towards Eddie once more, "You've danced with Beverly since you moved here. You're good. Plus everyone loves you. You'd be perfect on the team."

Eddie scoffs as he shuts his locker. The three now make their way towards their first class of the day. "As if."

Greta and Beverly both roll their eyes. "Shut up. You would totally be awesome. Greta's right. We'd get to hangout more too!"

Greta smirks. "Plus you'd look super cute in a skirt!"

The two girls snicker. Eddie, on the other hand, huffs. "What makes you think I'd even make it? I'm sure the girls trying out are much more qualified than I am. Plus it's my last year. Isn't that a bit weird?"

The two girls shrug behind him. "What does it matter if it's your last year?" Beverly tries arguing with her best friend.

"Yeah. And I promise you're more qualified than half trying out. I've seen you move. You have what it takes. It's really fun."

Beverly nods towards Greta. "She's right, Eddie. It's super fun. We have competitions and sleepovers. Plus we have this tradition where all of us go out to eat after a game. Sometimes we even party a bit." The girls snicker once more.

"That's not even the best part. All the football players flirt with us during games." Greta pushes into Eddie a bit. He can't help but blush at her words.

And suddenly Richie's face is consuming his thoughts once again.

"I suppose it wouldn't be that bad. Especially when two of my best friends are on the team." Eddie puts his arms over the two girl's shoulders, despite him being shorter than both of them.

The three fall into step before taking their seats in the middle row. That's when Eddie notices him. The curly haired boy with his abnormally large glasses. Richie Tozier is sat in the front row. Right next to Ben, who is writing away in his journal just as always. Eddie is so captivated by Richie that he doesn't even notice Beverly's stare on Ben.

Greta, who is definitely aware that her best friends are staring down the two nerds in the front row, decides to ignore it and move on. "Well tryouts are this Friday. We have practice everyday after school. This Friday everyone has to wear an orange tee and black shorts. As well as some sneakers. Sorry Eddie, but your chucks won't do."

The two finally pull their gaze away and focus back to Greta. Eddie nods, barely understanding a word she just said. "I don't have an orange shirt." He admits awkwardly.

Greta waves her hand. "It's whatever. I have tons. You can borrow one of mine. You two want to come over after practice?"

Beverly nods, earning a smile from Greta. Eddie shrugs. "I'll have to phone my mom. I can do it in the office at lunch?"

Everyone nods in agreement. Just then the bell rings and class is starting. Everyone quiets down and heads to their own desks. Eddie's eyes stray from his friends only to land right back on Richie Tozier. He curses himself for this, but can't seem to pull them away. Richie is magnetic.

Richie is in the same boat. He can't stop thinking about Eddie. However, unlike Eddie, Richie is used to it. It is normal for the small, pretty boy to consume every inch of Richie's mind. It's been like this since freshmen year. He hardly doubts it'll go away anytime soon. Besides, seeing Eddie up close and personal only made matters worse. Not to mention that Eddie's number is now written on a sticky note, placed directly above his desk.

All he wants is to look back and catch a glimpse of the boy. But that might look a little odd. Would he notice? Probably not. He's probably busy actually paying attention. In fact, he'd probably not even thought about him once since the park. There's no way. He's a nobody and Eddie is everything.

Richie sighs before purposely rolling a pencil off of his desk. He braces himself before leaning down and lifting his head to catch a glimpse of Eddie. It was worth it. Even if he does look like a total creep.

But when Richie's eyes finally do spot Eddie, he's surprised to see him already looking his way. Oh no. He's looking. I look weird. He thinks I'm a creep. Richie wants to look away, but it's as if he just can't. He's stuck this way. Bent over and eyes transfixed on Eddie's own chocolate one's.

In the end, Eddie just smiles. Eddie knows staring is odd. Richie is probably confused and weirded out. Why oh why did he have to be caught?

With that, Eddie tears his eyes away. It feels weird looking at the chalkboard after having just gazed into the prettiest eyes ever.

What's wrong with him?