Perfect Fit

Song: Shelter from the Storm by Bob Dylan

January 28, 1994

Mike is woken up past midnight due to a bang on his window. At first he decides to ignore it, blaming it on the wind. But the noise only continues to grow harder and more rapid. So he grunts and stumbles out before pulling his curtains back.

He immediately wakes up at the sight. He's no longer tired and instead full of fear. There stands a girl more broken than ever. Someone he's grown to love and care for dearly.

Mike ushers her in, getting her out of the cold. It's freezing out, seeing how it's still winter. The girl's teeth chatter and her face is a pale blue. Except for her right cheek, which seems to be a bit more red than the rest of her.

"You're freezing." He tells the girl, as if it's not obvious. But he's not sure what else to say.

He notices the obvious tear stained cheeks and glossy eyes. Should he question it or act casual? The boy doesn't want to scare her off. "Do you want to talk or-..."

She cuts him off with a look of horror. He gets it and so he doesn't question further. Instead he takes ahold of her. That's the only thing he knows how to do. "I'm going to start you a bath. Do you want to stay here or come with me?"

The girl's eyes widen as she latches herself onto him. Again, Mike gets it and so he takes her hand and leads the way. When they're there, the girl takes a seat on the counter while Mike waits for the water to warm. "Should I call anyone?"

She gives a sigh before looking away. Mike's never seen her like this. It's not that she's weak. More just broken. Perhaps in shock. He's not sure, but something is definitely wrong. Of course he's curious as can be, but he's also patient.

Finally the water is good to go and so he plugs the tub and heads out, her following close behind. "I know you're smaller than me, but I have some clothes if you want them."

Another tear finds its way out as she nods vulnerably. "Yeah." It's the first word she's said and so Mike hopes it's progress.

"Okay." He digs through his wardrobe before coming across a pair of old grey sweatpants and a tee shirt he'd gotten at a zoo his freshman year. "Here." He hands them over before walking her back.

She stands on the inside of the room, while Mike stands on the outside. She doesn't want to be alone, and he sees that. "Greta I'll be right outside if you need me."

The girl wipes away a remaining tear that had slipped out. "Okay." Quickly Greta kisses her best friend's cheek before backing in and closing the door. She feels her frigid cheeks before hopping in and basking in the warmth and comfort of this home.

Mike waits a few second before walking away. He doesn't want to hover. Besides, he wants to make everything as nice as possible. Greta could either come out of there even more exhausted and want nothing more than to sleep, or wide awake and ready to pour her soul out. Mike wants to be prepared for both.

Which is why he travels to the kitchen and creates a platter of her favorite treats and a hot mug of hot chocolate, which he even decorates with whipped cream, tiny marshmallows, and even rainbow sprinkles. It always brings a smile to her face. He's hoping it will this time too.

Greta enters Mike's room quietly. Her hair is still damp, but she's much warmer than she once was. She stands by the door and watches Mike tidy up. The girl smiles at this small action. She swears he'd go above and beyond for not only her, but every single one of their friends.

She sneaks up on him, quiet as a mouse. "Boo!" She giggles as he jumps back.

He glares, but his face softens up quickly. "You feeling better?"