Under the Bridge

Song: Under the Bridge by Red Hot Chili Peppers

October 27, 1993

The autumn wind blows harshly against the pale boy's exposed neck. It wisps at his already tangled hair, but he's not one to mind. The boy scuffs his boots awkwardly along the pavement. A decent looking brick building stands tall above him. It's cute, with pamphlets and signs hung outside.

Eventually he makes his way in, building up the courage to at last talk to strangers. A girl, mid twenties maybe, sits in a desk near the entrance. Her hair is wild, much like Richie's own, but instead it has a blonde, honey tint to it. A bell jingles over his head, alerting the woman and pulling her from the work that sits neatly below her nose. She smiles, it's small and possibly sincere. Richie can't be sure.

"May I help you?" She pushes her glasses onto the top of her head, which Richie finds strange.

"I'm here for Eddie?" He doesn't elaborate on any last name. There can't be too many guys that dance, especially in small town Derry.

"He's the last door on the right." She's back to her work in no time, and Richie doesn't mind. The presence of strangers makes him feel on edge.

Quickly he makes his way down. He wonders if he should knock, but decides better of it when he gets a better look through the window. There Eddie is, a black leotard to match his black leggings, which hug his toned calves. Richie's never realized just how skinny Eddie was until now. And he's even seen him without a shirt.

Richie enters as quiet as possible. Music immediately hits his ears, and he's happy to recognize the song. He stands in the back, watching closely as Eddie movies. And he can move. Eddie's entire body moves forcefully across the wooden floor. His movements are graceful and strong all at once. Richie's not sure how he pulls it all off.

Eddie's left leg extends all the way up, letting Richie get a better look at just how flexible Eddie really is. But it's not just his movements that shock Richie. It's him as a whole. Eddie's not just dancing, he's performing. His entire body moves together, and his face bends and contorts along with it. He holds emotion, so much emotion.

"And I don't ever wanna feel like I did that day.
Take me to the place I love, take me all the way."

The lyrics blast through the speakers, but Eddie's still the one telling the story. Richie's never seen such a beautiful performance. Eddie's mentioned dance a couple times before, but he had no idea he was this passionate about it. The amount of time and dedication to get to this level shows just how much this means to the small boy. Richie falls in love all over again. He does almost every day.

"I thought you said you couldn't act?" Richie's voice booms, pulling Eddie out of focus. He jumps a mile while clutching at his heart.

"What the fuck!"

Richie laughs loudly. "Sorry."

"How long have you been there?" Eddie's cheeks flush.

"Long enough to see how incredible you are."

"I'm okay."

"That was much more than okay."

Eddie continues to grow more red by the second. "Whatever."

Richie glides on over to him, finally noticing the sweat dripping from his curly locks. "I didn't know you listened to them."

Eddie nods, now moving past his boyfriend to retrieve a bottle of water, which he downs in about two seconds. "I love the Red Hot Chili Peppers."