Chapter 12 Part 2

Long ago, a maiden lived alone in a village. One day the maiden pondered over the forest in the distance of her house, curious about it she decided to explore the forest to see what she could find.

people were told not to go in, "It is forbidden! It's too dangerous and the forest is said to be cursed!" The villagers say. The maiden didn't like the sound of that but it didn't ruin her curiosity.

So without hesitation she reluctantly walked into the forest, exploring the trees and plants around her. She touched every leaf and tree she can find and smelled every flower that she came across. She grinned madly, she fell in love with the forest.

A small, tiny noise came from nearby. It alerted the maiden making her wary of it. She turned and stepped away slowly. "Hello? Is someone there?" She stood still for a moment then leaned towards the nearest bush to see what was making that noise.

In the maidens' vision, she saw a small creature. A small silver-haired fox and a little white dog, both were wounded and covered with cuts along with some bruises.

It seemed strange to her. She's never seen animals like them before, not even in the in the village. But they looked beautiful. Both of the animal's fur was soft to the touch like woven silk. "You poor little things, who would injure beautiful creatures like you?" She questioned. After that the Maiden grabbed them then cradled them into her arms, carrying them back to the village.

Once the maiden made it into the village she ran into her home and tended to their injuries "You'll be alright now little ones. You can rest easy."

The next day the maiden woke up to the animals beside her but something was off. They weren't animals, instead, they looked like humans, but not entirely. The maiden stood up surprised by the animal's appearances. Is this a dream? Nothing but an illusion? 

All off these questions were in her head. The maiden shook her head and offered them to stay. The two young pups agreed and asked her why she isn't afraid of them "But... we are Yokai, humans despise us and want to kill us," the fox said, "But instead you help us, why?" the dog added.
The maiden paused and smiled at them sweetly. She finally replied with a few words "You must be wrong, or some people at least. Plus who would hurt young ones like you? even if you are Yokai I don't feel harmed by you." The two little Yokai felt surprised but then their eyes sparkled after hearing those words. They felt safe with this maiden.

As time flew by the maiden grew up, along with the young Yokai. One of the Yokai turned out to be an Inugami and became a very loyal companion to the Maiden, helping her around the house. The other pup became a nine-tailed fox, a Kitsune. They helped her hunt and keep intruders out.

As the days went on. The maiden and the two Yokai together lived in peace. They all bonded together and shared memories. They were truly happy.

Until on one fateful day, people found out about the two Yokai living with the maiden. She was accused as a monster, an evil demon. First, it started with insults and people avoiding her. "Monster!" One yelled out. "Go back to your cave! you don't belong here!" Another shouted. The two yokai felt like it was their fault that they brought misfortune to the maiden but it didn't affect her at all. She just smiled and ignored the people. Eventually, it got worse.

The maiden fell ill and was starting to lose her strength. The Kitsune and the Inugami did all they could to help her but it was no use. The maiden was near death's doorstep. They wept over the maiden's bed feeling helpless as she laid there. They couldn't help her, or even save her from her fate. "You're going to leave us! please, don't go!" The Kitsune cried out to her. The Inugami whimpered at the Kitsune's words. With all of the strength that she could put into her arm, The maiden patted their heads and caressed their heads and smiled at them "Do not worry. I will always be with you two even if I am gone," she spoke softly.

The Yokai held out their pinkie fingers and held them close to the maidens. "Promise?" they asked. She chuckled softly and wrapped her pinkie finger on theirs "I promise..." She whispered. As they maiden grew quiet she grasped on to a small necklace decorated with four colored stones. "Farewell... My precious little moon, my precious little flower..." after those words the maiden spoke no more. It was nothing but silence in the room except the quiet cry of the two weeping Yokai, crying over the maiden's body. 

As the day went on, it went quiet, nothing more than the sound of the crickets that sang their song into the night.