Chapter Six

That night was our second dinner in the Beardsley manor, but unlike yesterday, we knew them better and had suddenly became something akin to a legend.

"So how was your first day? And is dinner suited to your palate?" Otis asked.

The cook, old but still talkative and had a good air about him, was the first to talk to us. He already knew each of us by our names and loved describing what everything on the plate was. Today it was some asparagus, baked potatoes, and well done mutton. For morning we had oatmeal, milk, and eggs. The food was better than anything I had, as expected of a noble family's head chef.

"Did the greetings yesterday go well?" Mattheus asked. We all nodded.

"But Clo had an argument with Mister Silas," Beth recalled, looking at Clo, who only shrugged.

"And the two children asked about me and Shuyan."

"Talking about that, I think I know where China is!" Matthew said.

"Great Britain has it under their power recently after selling them opium." Holden, I learned, was into politics. He always read the newspaper first thing in the morning and apparently lost his eye in some war, thus the eyepatch. It made him look proud, like a veteran wearing a medal or war scar.

"Yes, they are a valuable asset to the empire."

"That is true, but we also need spices from India. That is our priority—" Otis began.

"We don't need anything from any country," Phillip grumbled.

"None of that matters," Rudy, the skinny man, said gently, guiding us back on track. "What matters is if the girls enjoyed their work."

"Yes, yes," Otis sang.

"They need to meet Harper too," Matthew said. "He wasn't here yesterday because he had to attend to some private business."

"Yes, yes," Mister Kupka, who sat at the head of the table, nodded. "This is Harper Wakefield, valet to Master Olive."

He gestured to a man sitting down the table. He was probably the youngest there, which was he was valet to the youngest son. Harper nodded his head without saying much. He was freckled all over, pale, and had a quiet air about him.

Mister Kupka went on to introduce each of us again before asking how our first day went.

"Horrible!" Beth decided to take the stage first. She took some bread from the plate that was passed around and sighed. "Master Augustin is so messy!"

"I will not listen to you say disrespectful things about the masters of the house we work for," Mister Kupka glowered.

"Well, it's true," Beth said, and jutted out her chin. "But Mister Valentin's room wasn't too bad. Or maybe it was because you helped. Thank you very much for that, Mister Kupka." He sighed.

"You are very welcome, Miss Bethany."

"My day was fine," Clo said. "This meat is incredibly good, Otis."

Otis smiled. "Meatloaf is my specialty! I made it tonight just for you girls! Eat more and have a good rest tonight!"

"Thank you," Clo, Rhiannon, and I said in unison, while Beth threw her hands up in the air.

"Thank you so much!"

"As for me and the children's room," Clo continued, "it was simple enough, but it was also sad."

"Sad?" Beth echoed. The valets and Mister Kupka seemed intrigued too.

"And why would you say that?" Mister Kupka asked.